Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Compatibility Question

Jump to solution

I need some help. I’m finding conflicting info when I search this. My modem is in my living room. That’s my only cable outlet for it to plug in. My bedroom tv is not a smart TV. So I can’t plug my tv right into the model. Can I use a Roku on my bedroom tv?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Compatibility Question

Jump to solution

You do not need a Smart TV to use a Roku player. You do need an HDMI port, and the TV must support at least 720p resolution. Some older TVs might have an HDMI port, but they only support 1080i or 540p, and Roku players support neither resolution. If it supports 720p or 1080p, you're fine. And if it's a 4K TV (unlikely since it's not a smart TV) then it supports the lower resolutions no problem.

Of course, you also need a decent WiFi signal in the bedroom. Most cable modems also offer WiFi, and unless you have a sprawling rambler for a home, it should likely have sufficient coverage. Most Roku players only support 2.4 GHz WiFi, although the Stick and the Ultra are dual band and support 5 GHz as well.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Compatibility Question

Jump to solution

You do not need a Smart TV to use a Roku player. You do need an HDMI port, and the TV must support at least 720p resolution. Some older TVs might have an HDMI port, but they only support 1080i or 540p, and Roku players support neither resolution. If it supports 720p or 1080p, you're fine. And if it's a 4K TV (unlikely since it's not a smart TV) then it supports the lower resolutions no problem.

Of course, you also need a decent WiFi signal in the bedroom. Most cable modems also offer WiFi, and unless you have a sprawling rambler for a home, it should likely have sufficient coverage. Most Roku players only support 2.4 GHz WiFi, although the Stick and the Ultra are dual band and support 5 GHz as well.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos