Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
williamhdixon
Reel Rookie

Can the remote switch the TV to HDMI?

I just purchased, received and installed a Roku Express 4K+. I like that I can turn the TV on and adjust its volume with the Roku remote. (Couldn't do that with my old Roku 2.)

But is there any way to switch my (non-smart) TV from normal TV channel mode to HDMI? If the last thing we used the TV for was watching an OTA local station, I have to get both remotes.

It sure would be nice to be able to skip the TV remote.

(Note, we have a Spectre TV, if that makes any difference.)

3 REPLIES 3
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Can the remote switch the TV to HDMI?

Yes, if your TV supports HDMI-CEC (and its enabled). 

Rokus come with (unidirectional) CEC enabled, so all you have to press a button and it will switch to the Roku's input.

0 Kudos
Debnova51
Reel Rookie

I'm a non techie. When someone replies with INITIALS instead of spelled out, not all of us KNOW that initial. Like "CEC". Ok, I know it's simple, but it still causes time issues. Thanks

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Debnova51 

HDMI CEC is short for Consumer Electronics Control. (Essentially allows you to control multiple HDMI connected devices with a single remote).  Depends on the remote as to extent of features.  Different manufacturers have different names for their CEC (generic name) feature.

Here is a link to a thread I posted recently re: setting up Roku and CEC.  Contains further links to Roku help and manufacturer names of their CEC, may be helpful to you.  https://community.roku.com/t5/Getting-Started-Setup-How-to/Hdmi1/m-p/700524#M13816

In general, answers cannot be explained fully each time so a browser search engine (Google or the like) is helpful if you come across a term in forums like these that you may not understand.  Sometimes have to pull from multiple sources to get a complete picture, or post a follow-up for more clarification.  Many users that stop by here are just looking for the "fix" and not really the info/sausage behind the fix.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos