Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
streambeam
Reel Rookie

Can the Roku Ultra use a HDMI-to-RCA composite cable ?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone!

I'm getting an Ultra model, but I want to connect it via RCA composite.

Will the Roku Ultra provide a converted signal so that I only need an adapter cable?

Or do I need to get the HDMI-RCA converter (with separate power) ?

Hoping that Roku has an option in the menu to output an analog HDMI signal!  Any ideas?  Thank you!

SK

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can the Roku Ultra use a HDMI-to-RCA composite cable ?

Jump to solution

Current Roku devices output HDMI only. If you want to connect to an older TV that uses composite input (RCA), you'll need an HDMI to composite adapter. You can find those at Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

One thought: you haven't said why you want to do this. Assuming it's simply to utilize an existing TV, then it may be worthwhile to get a much cheaper Roku device, such as the Express. The converter of HDMI to composite will mean your picture will be in 480 resolution, not HD or UHD/4K. Save $75 and get the cheapest Roku.

Or, depending on the size of the TV, it may be more cost effective to get a Roku TV. Walmart has them for under $100, with a 32-inch less than $120. An Ultra and a converter will run you $115, and you'd still have just a 480 picture.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes

Jump to solution

Current Roku devices output HDMI only. If you want to connect to an older TV that uses composite input (RCA), you'll need an HDMI to composite adapter. You can find those at Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

One thought: you haven't said why you want to do this. Assuming it's simply to utilize an existing TV, then it may be worthwhile to get a much cheaper Roku device, such as the Express. The converter of HDMI to composite will mean your picture will be in 480 resolution, not HD or UHD/4K. Save $75 and get the cheapest Roku.

Or, depending on the size of the TV, it may be more cost effective to get a Roku TV. Walmart has them for under $100, with a 32-inch less than $120. An Ultra and a converter will run you $115, and you'd still have just a 480 picture.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

streambeam
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for those thoughts!

What I neglected to say is that I needed the Roku Ultra because I don't have WiFi, I only have a wired ethernet.  So I had no choice but to go to the Ultra.

As for my question: Can the Roku Ultra output an analog signal?  If it could, and if I could select this in its menus, then I'd be able to use a cable/adapter rather than an active converter that requires power.

Does anyone know if I can set the Roku to output analog on the HDMI?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

A hdmi to rca cable is a scam, they NEVER work. What you need is hdmi to rca converter, in it is circuitry to switch signals that mere cable doesn't have. This converter is not backwards capable, so don't get rca to hdmi converter, you need one that states its changing the signal from hdmi to rca. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dstoffa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@streambeam wrote:

Thanks for those thoughts!

What I neglected to say is that I needed the Roku Ultra because I don't have WiFi, I only have a wired ethernet.  So I had no choice but to go to the Ultra.

You can buy / use an old beater router, set it up as an access point, and presto, instant wireless.  You plug the ethernet cable you were going to plug into the Roku into a LAN port on the router (now in access point mode).

Also, be aware that your picture is not going to be in the proper proportion.  The Roku will think your display is 16:9, and the picture you get out of those composite cables will be "squished" tall on a 4:3 display.  It won't be letterboxed.

0 Kudos
bdrums
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I know this post is over a year old, but I thought I'd respond with yes! I bought an adapter on the electronic Bay for under 10 bucks that goes from a Streaming Stick's HDMI to RCA component out.

0 Kudos