Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkFoster

Can't get past entering code and accepting terms.

The title explains my problem. The TV still has the "please check inbox" screen. I entered the code from email, selected a location and accepted terms. Now pic screen is blank and nothing happens. I already did a factory reset with no change.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Can't get past entering code and accepting terms.

I’m clearly confused.  Do you have a Roku stand-alone device, or a RokuTV set?  

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Joecat45
Channel Surfer

It is a new Roku Express

0 Kudos
Joecat45
Channel Surfer

Mark is a friend. I purchased the Roku device as a present, but am unable to get it set up for him.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Joecat45  there are several variations of the Roku Express and Express+.  What is the model number of your friend’s Express device?  I have the Express+ 3910.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Joecat45
Channel Surfer

I’m afraid Mark threw away the packaging that might have had the identification you request. I can tell you this, I received it fro Roku about 2 weeks ago. It’s the low-end model currently on sale for $29.99.

Mark has no credit card, so I skipped over that step, telling the system to pass on it for now. That’s the only difference I can think of between this set up attempt and my own previous two set-ups.

There’s something really peculiar that after multiple attempts, including starting from factory settings I get as far as entering the code I receive by email, and then nothing further.

‘I’ve read where others with problems are asked to perform the setup with another internet connection and then do something or other to transfer things to the proper  provider. As a last resort would it make sense for me to bring it home and set it up here, then take it to Mark? Seems kind of hokey, but I’m willing to try most anything.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Electric_ninja_ 

Same can simply be accomplished from within Roku Settings.

Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Joecat45
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the recommendations. I believe I already tried them, but I'll give it one more try.

Will the Roku system allow me to bring Mark's unit to my home, set it up and then take it back to Mark, hook it up and turn it on? Would that even work?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Joecat45 

One of the recommended troubleshooting steps is to try the Roku device on an alternative network or TV.

As such would be a good idea to Factory Reset it again and try to set up your TV.  (Would suggest manually setting it to 720p if you are able).   These settings can then be changed later.  Also, make sure you are using the included power adapter at both locations to eliminate a power supply and underpowered device as a possible culprit. (rather than using TV USB port).

1. Factory Reset device again (press and hold Reset 30+sec).

2. Setup on your network using @MarkFoster Roku account credentials. (enter his email when prompted).

3. As setup proceeds, set Roku Display Type to 720p when prompted, rather than Auto Detection.

4. If setup completes and everything tests out, take to @MarkFoster location and connect to his network.  Test on the TV.  Try different HDMI ports if needed.  If displays correctly, then can try changing Display Type to 1080p or higher. (Settings/Display Type)

----

If the device fails to correctly setup at your network location, on your TV, then good indicator there may be something wrong with the device. warranting a return/exchange.

Feel free to update posting or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Joecat45
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the guidance. I'll visit and try your suggestions this afternoon.

0 Kudos