Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jp2fanguy
Level 7

Can't get home screen to load

I have 3 ROKU express devices on 3 TVs. All used to work fine and two still do. One device will show the purple screen with ROKU but will not advance to the home screen and will not respond to any of my remotes. I tried powering off and waiting and powering back on. I did a hard reset with the reset button. Still the same. Help?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't get home screen to load

When you did the reset, was it powered on? It has to be powered, and you need to preset and reset key for over 30 seconds or more.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
suesyn
Level 7

I have the purple screen with ROKU on the screen. The screen does not change to home screen. I unplugged the system and re-plugged it in but the screen still stays the same. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@suesyn

Thanks for the post.

What Roku model device are you using? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet? Have you tried performing a factory reset on the Roku device to see if that resolves the issue you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
suesyn
Level 7

I have the RokuSE. It is plugged into a power strip. I was watching Hulu when it froze but I could hear the audio . Then it went completely black and I hit rewind and the black screen with the Roku icon came on. I shut down the power to the TV and waited a while and then turned on the TV but all I got was the same screen back. 

I changed the batteries in the remote. I tried to reset it using the remote pressing home 5x, up once, rewind twice and FF twice. It would go blank and I could see a thin line of color on the bottom and then it would go blank again and then the Black screen with the Roku icon came on and seems froze. I also tried to reset it by unplugging the Roku and taking out the batteries of the remote and then plug in the Roku and then put the batteries back into the remote. All I get is a black screen with the Roku icon on it. I turned the tv off over night and tried again this morning with no luck.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@suesyn

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your Roku device to see if you can setup your device again?

For more information about how to try performing a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

I have a ROKU stick, doesn't have a reset button. I unplugged router, still can't bring up home page

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Can't get home screen to load, There is not a reset button on my remote.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@0314 wrote:

I have a ROKU stick, doesn't have a reset button. I unplugged router, still can't bring up home page

@0314 wrote:

Re: Can't get home screen to load, There is not a reset button on my remote.

I'm trying to understand the issue. Let me offer this. Do not edit the title. If the title doesn't apply, open a new post. If the title does apply, respond in the actual text box, but do not edit the title, nor rely on the title to attempt to communicate the issue.

Attempting to understand the issue, it appears that you can't get to the Home Screen of the Roku. It also indicates you think you have a Roku Stick but that the Stick doesn't have a reset button. Only here's the thing: Roku Sticks do have a reset button.

You also mention no reset button on the remote. Stick remotes don't have a reset button. They do have a pairing button underneath the battery cover. You use that to pair the remote to the Stick.

If you don't have a pairing button under the batter cover of the remote, then you don't have a remote that works with a Stick. And, if that is the remote that came with the Roku device, then it's not a Stick.

I have experienced people calling an Express a "Stick" -- but it's not a stick. So, I'm asking for a couple of things to help with your issue.

Describe the issue. And don't edit the title to do that. Write out a response as the board intends things to be done.

Next, let us know what Roku device you have. Somewhere on it, you'll probably find a model number. You will definitely find a reset button. Look again. Look carefully. But do let us know what the problem is before you go pressing it. We may be able to offer a solution that doesn't invovle that, once we understand the issue and which Roku you have.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos