Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moritat
Reel Rookie

Can't get activation link

Jump to solution

I'm trying to set up my Roku Ultra. I hooked it up to my TV and I'm now on the screen that says I should "enter my email address to get an activation link". But this is a TV!  There is no way to enter an email address on my screen with the Roku remote.  So then I signed into my Roku account on my desktop computer.  It says "Please enter the link code displayed on your TV"....  but there is no link code on my TV! Only that request to enter my email address which I can't do.  Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't get activation link

Jump to solution

Roku no longer uses activation links because of scammers being able to misdirect the user to a bogus web site and then cause the activation to "fail", and tell the user a fee was required. It wasn't any fault of Roku, but the instead a manipulation of the way browsers will suggest a web site based on what you're typing in.

Yes, you can enter your email address with the Roku remote. Just click the OK button when you're in the text box and an on-screen keyboard will appear to enter your email address. Just make sure it's the email that your Roku user account uses. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku no longer uses activation links because of scammers being able to misdirect the user to a bogus web site and then cause the activation to "fail", and tell the user a fee was required. It wasn't any fault of Roku, but the instead a manipulation of the way browsers will suggest a web site based on what you're typing in.

Yes, you can enter your email address with the Roku remote. Just click the OK button when you're in the text box and an on-screen keyboard will appear to enter your email address. Just make sure it's the email that your Roku user account uses. 

Dan

Lollie1

Jump to solution

I cannot get arrows on Roku remote to go to email box 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Lollie1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Are you trying to access the field to input your email address when activating your Roku device? Have you already tried pressing the OK button your remote?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Can't get activation link

Jump to solution

I’m experiencing the same problem about not getting the activation link after entering the email address set up on my account. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@rganderson54 are you certain you're using the email account that is also used for your Roku user account? Some have mistakenly entered a different email address, and from reports that doesn't work.

Dan

0 Kudos
nubbsmama

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue.  When I try to add a device, it says to enter the code from the TV screen.  There is no code on the TV screen.  When I go to the support section on WWW.ROKU.COM, none of the solutions actually link to anything.  All I get is that there is an error connecting to the solution.  What is the point of having support if none of the links go anywhere?  I still can't link to anything since the TV screen doesn't show any code whatsoever to enter on the device I'm trying to connect.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@nubbsmama Roku has transitioned away from entering a code from the screen. Instead you need to enter your Roku user account email address, and an activation link will be emailed to you. If you are not getting the screen to enter your email address, I suggest doing a hard reset on the Roku and start the linking process over again. There's a recessed button on the back of the Roku. Press and hold that button for a minimum of 30 seconds (not one second less), and you'll be back at the setup screen again. 

Dan

Bambi8Dad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I was in the same predicament. Have you pressed "OK" on your remote when you've reached this page? When you do that a qwerty - ish- key board comes up. When I finally pressed "OK" and saw the keyboard I felt so sheepish! Anyway, I made sure I had my email account open, up and running, cos the activation link is there for only 4/5 minutes, gotta be quick!, and TA DAH! the job was done! I was so relieved. I hope this is your solution. Good luck! 

0 Kudos
Tmopmo

Jump to solution

I am using correct email address but am not getting an email with activation link

0 Kudos