Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcmartin
Reel Rookie

Can't Activate Roku Express

Jump to solution

1. Install roku express with TV as power source.

2. enter email and receive activation link

3. follow steps online and add  device to acct.

4. never get a code

5. steps 1-4 loop forever

Troubleshooting steps taken.

• restart device and TV
  • hard reset device
  • restart router

Additionally the device has restarted at random times on it's own.

I think based on the TOTAL lack of support, I'm getting a Chromecast instead.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Can't Activate Roku Express

Jump to solution

@jcmartin wrote:

4. never get a code

• restart device and TV
  • hard reset device
  • restart router

Use the supplied USB AC wall adapter instead of your TV's USB ports - otherwise strange behavior (like restarting on its own) will happen.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
njgreen

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue activating Roku Express.  I have completed my account set up so many times, yet the screen never "automatically updates when you're done" as it states.  I would like Roku customer service to contact me or I will return the device.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jcmartin wrote:

4. never get a code

• restart device and TV
  • hard reset device
  • restart router

Use the supplied USB AC wall adapter instead of your TV's USB ports - otherwise strange behavior (like restarting on its own) will happen.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@njgreen wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue activating Roku Express.  I have completed my account set up so many times, yet the screen never "automatically updates when you're done" as it states.  I would like Roku customer service to contact me or I will return the device.

Call Roku CS at (816) 272-8106  choose option 2

0 Kudos
jcmartin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Perfect! That was it.
DO NOT USE THE TV AS A POWER SOURCE

It's a shame that all the threads that I could find from "Danny" at Roku "Support" just kept repeating the restart/reset mantra used by all support people before addressing the fact that there may be a real issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated, but Roku has really let us down. 

I already ordered the Chromecast, so their lack of support means that the next time I need a streaming device I will already have a Chromecast.

This Roku is supposed to be returned today, and I may still return it, since I know that the company does not deserve our business, the reviews make the lifetime of the Roku sound short and it has tones of latency (delay) when using the remote.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I recommend a multiplatform streaming strategy (with at least 3 different platforms), to deal with app carriage/compatibility/functionality differences.  You might consider keeping the Express (or at least the Express 4K+, since I cant recommend the basic Express models) to accomplish that.

0 Kudos
jcmartin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We have been using Chromecast flawlessly for years. Ours broke and we tried Roku...new Chromecast arrives today.

Roku has really dropped the ball not having support, or even docs on a known issue.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jcmartin wrote:

We have been using Chromecast flawlessly for years. Ours broke and we tried Roku...new Chromecast arrives today.

Roku has really dropped the ball not having support, or even docs on a known issue.

For Agent-Assisted supported models:  

chat/email/phone   https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

For billing/account issues, and first time setup/activation issues:   (816) 272-8106

General support:    https://support.roku.com/     Typing "power" into the search box provides many results..

Support article about powering devices:  https://support.roku.com/article/219327988

When first setting up any device (doesnt matter the manufacturer), its always best to do so with the provided power and connection cables - then later switching to other power sources/connection cables once you've verified everything is working properly.

0 Kudos