Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can one connect a Roku device, Streaming Stick +, directly to an AVR instead of a TV?

Hi,

I'm new  to the  Roku scene and just bought a Streaming Stick +. I'm having a CEC problem with it connected to my TV. When playing the device instead of the sound being directed to my HT speakers it is sent to the TV's speakers, TV=Sony 950G, and I have to unplug the power cords to the TV and AVR as well as unplugging the HDMI to direct the audio to the HT speakers then all is well until I shut the system off and start it again.

I'm considering buying a HDMI CEC Less adapter to connect my TV/AVR via eARC.

But is I can connect the Roku device directly to my AVR all the better. Can this be done?

Otherwise I love my Streaming Stick +...works so well.

Thanks,

m

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Can one connect a Roku device, Streaming Stick +, directly to an AVR instead of a TV?

Absolutely. I have my Ultra 4640 directly connected to my Yamaha AVR. And I've tested my older Stick directly plugged in as well. And since the Stick uses WiFi Direct for the remote, you don't have to worry about an IR remote being able to see the player to work. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Can one connect a Roku device, Streaming Stick +, directly to an AVR instead of a TV?

I connected the Roku Streaming Stick + to the HDMI input...used the CD input...of my Marantz SR5014 and nothing happened. Just a black screen. The power light was on the Roku and the inputs were correct for the TV and AVR but no joy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@mvmadore wrote:

I connected the Roku Streaming Stick + to the HDMI input...used the CD input...of my Marantz SR5014 and nothing happened. Just a black screen. The power light was on the Roku and the inputs were correct for the TV and AVR but no joy.

Just a guess, but since it's labeled CD it might be audio only. HDMI 5 is specifically labeled Media Player, so I would try that one.

The online picture I'm looking at of the back panel says that all HDMI inputs are assignable, so that might mean you need to do some configuration within the AVR itself. I've never owned that brand, so I have no idea what those settings might be like.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Duh ! I should have thought of that before I used that input lol.

When I tried it again using the DVD HDMI input it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It's been a day since I've moved the Roku SS+ from the TV to the AVR's hdmi input and not a single problem with it and my HT.

I've used it quite a bit, watching a lot of youtube music and binge watching The Last Kingdom season 2.

When I connect to the Roku via my Harmony remote  it goes to Roku immediately, much faster than when it was connected to the TV, and is immediately connected to my wifi as well as all audio signals go to my HT system rather than the TV speakers.

I'm very happy and the video/audio is great...huzzah !

0 Kudos