Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can my new streaming stick+ (3810) use an MHL port and/or could the MHL port damage it?

Jump to solution

I have a JVC Roku Ready TV with MHL port, which came bundled with a Roku streaming stick (3400).  The 3400 won't support YouTubeTV or Disney+ so I have purchased a new streaming stick+ (3810).  My first question is: Can my 3810 take advantage of the MHL port (providing power and TV remote control integration)? I have found zero mention of this capability, so my assumption is "no".  My second question is: Assuming the 3810 cannot use the MHL functionality, could I possibly damage the 3810 by plugging it into the MHL port?  I assumption here is also "no" because I do find mention (outside of Roku sources) that an MHL port should simply function like a regular HDMI port if/when a non-MHL device is plugged into it.  The only thing that give me pause is that the 3810 needs power (normally through an additional USB connection) so it is distinctly different from a typical non-MHL device.  I can presumably answer these both by simply testing it, but I don't want to ruin my brand new 3810 in the process (so I'm hoping someone definitively knows the answers.  Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Can my new streaming stick+ (3810) use an MHL port and/or could the MHL port damage it?

Jump to solution

Okay, so I decided to just go ahead and try it.  Both original assumptions were correct.  The 3810 did NOT recognize or utilize the MHL features.  No power until I provided external power.  Once on it did not recognize input from the Roku ready TV remote.  Smiley Sad  Other than that, it seems to work just fine in the MHL port (as a standard HDMI port), and hey it didn't get fried in the process. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Can my new streaming stick+ (3810) use an MHL port and/or could the MHL port damage it?

Jump to solution

If ya still have the receipt waddaya got to lose?

I dont see why it would damage it.

But I cant say definitively. After all you could pass gas and a spark

in the new stick sets it off and blows everything up. One never knows.

If ya still have the receipt.................

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Okay, so I decided to just go ahead and try it.  Both original assumptions were correct.  The 3810 did NOT recognize or utilize the MHL features.  No power until I provided external power.  Once on it did not recognize input from the Roku ready TV remote.  Smiley Sad  Other than that, it seems to work just fine in the MHL port (as a standard HDMI port), and hey it didn't get fried in the process. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

It will be almost impossible to find anything today that works in an MHL connection. It was a protocol that never made it in the market, and the official MHL web site doesn't even seem to be up any longer. The best you could do is to watch EBay for a Roku 3400/3420 MHL Stick. But since those were released in 2012 they are really old and not very powerful. 

I don't think trying the MHL port will damage a device, but it just won't work in that connection. If your display/TV has an HDMI jack, just plug it in there instead and forget about using the MHL connection completely. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Return it get something better

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I went back and forth with Roku customer service and, little by little, they said that the MHL port should have enough power for the Streaming Stick+ and that the original TV remote will work with the new stick they are forcing me to buy.  I just ordered the stick and I am now expecting that they lied to me twice while taking features away from me forcing me to buy another of their products.

When I told them they were doing shameful things to a good customer, they told me that they felt bad reading that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@kwillis11 wrote:

I went back and forth with Roku customer service and, little by little, they said that the MHL port should have enough power for the Streaming Stick+ and that the original TV remote will work with the new stick they are forcing me to buy.  I just ordered the stick and I am now expecting that they lied to me twice while taking features away from me forcing me to buy another of their products.

They were not accurate. The MHL port has nothing to do with powering the Stick. I'm not saying they lied, simply they didn't have accurate information. Unfortunately, these customer service members are only given a script to follow, and in most cases have no real technical expertise. 

Yes, the MHL port can power a device that plugs into it. But that device has to be developed to use the MHL port. The current Roku Sticks do not meet that requirement. They cannot be powered from the HDMI port (which looks identical to an MHL port but isn't), but need power provided by the included USB cable. For the Stick+, it also acts as the WiFi antenna, so it's required to be used. 

If your TV has a normal, standard HDMI port, the Stick should work just fine in it. But it will not work in an MHL port. Again, the MHL port is physically identical but electronically different. You can plug an HDMI device into it, but it won't work.

And no, the TV remote will not control the new Stick. The other function of MHL is using the TV remote to control the MHL version of the Stick. Your existing TV remote will not be able to control the new Roku Stick. You will have to use the remote that comes with the Stick to control it.

It's unfortunate that so many companies (it's not just Roku by any means) don't train their support call centers sufficiently to ensure mistakes like this don't happen. But it requires some technical knowledge that they don't want to pay for. Even major companies like Microsoft and Sony have the same problems with their call centers. Simply a lack of knowledge and training. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Neil2 wrote:

I have a JVC Roku Ready TV with MHL port, which came bundled with a Roku streaming stick (3400).  The 3400 won't support YouTubeTV or Disney+ so I have purchased a new streaming stick+ (3810).  My first question is: Can my 3810 take advantage of the MHL port (providing power and TV remote control integration)? I have found zero mention of this capability, so my assumption is "no".  My second question is: Assuming the 3810 cannot use the MHL functionality, could I possibly damage the 3810 by plugging it into the MHL port?  I assumption here is also "no" because I do find mention (outside of Roku sources) that an MHL port should simply function like a regular HDMI port if/when a non-MHL device is plugged into it.  The only thing that give me pause is that the 3810 needs power (normally through an additional USB connection) so it is distinctly different from a typical non-MHL device.  I can presumably answer these both by simply testing it, but I don't want to ruin my brand new 3810 in the process (so I'm hoping someone definitively knows the answers.  Please help!

Mine(3810+) worked fine when plugged into the side port marked MHL/HDMI on my 2015 Sony Bravia TV. However it was way too warm to the touch for my liking so I am moving it to a rear HDMI port although it will be less accessible. Roku should be more clear about the use or non use of the 3810 in a MHL marked port.

0 Kudos