Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Can anyone recommend an HDMI audio extractor that decodes Dolby Digital plus to Dolby Digital?

Hi,

The problem I'm trying to solve is that I recently purchased a Roku Express and I get no 5.1 sound when watching Netflix (only Pro-Logic). Originally I had the Roku connected to my TV via HDMI, and the TV connected to the pre-amp via Toslink. No 5.1? So I contacted Sony tech support who told me this is a limitation of my TV. Then I bought a Musou HDMI audio extractor, connected that between the Roku & TV on HDMI and used its Toslink to my pre-amp. Same problem Smiley Sad

I've checked all the settings on the Roku to no avail & looked through the relevant posts on this forum. What I think I've understood so far is that Netflix streams DD+ whereas my pre-amp (Cyrus AV5) only handles standard DD and DTS. So, is there any device out there that will decode DD+ to DD? I'd rather not change my pre-amp because I very happy with the sound for music & Blu-Rays. I just need to find a solution for Netflix

Thanks

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Can anyone recommend an HDMI audio extractor that decodes Dolby Digital plus to Dolby Digital?

Hello ... by chance did you ever find an answer to your question?  Same situation here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Can anyone recommend an HDMI audio extractor that decodes Dolby Digital plus to Dolby Digital?

Sadly, I didn't find a hardware solution short of €500. I ended up replacing the Roku with a Raspberry Pi & doing the transcoding in software

0 Kudos