Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brie82
Level 7

Can I use a roku stick on any TV? Please help

Hi guys, I need help!!!!

I bought a TV and Roku came with it. My TV quit working but I’m wondering if I can use the stick still and get a new remote for it? The remote I have is for a Visio
Thank youSmiley Happy
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Can I use a roku stick on any TV? Please help

I'm guessing not.. if the TV came with a stick, it's one of the very old sticks that are MHL port compatible only, and only with certain MHL TVs at that.

Your best bet is to just buy a newer HDMI Roku stick that you'll know is compatible with all HDMI TVs.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Brie82
Level 7

Thank you! Yeah I just went to Walmart and picked one up..
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

According to the Roku Wikipedia page, even the old MHL Sticks support the Wi-Fi Direct remotes. However, if it is an MHL stick then it will only work with a TV with an MHL input. It looks like an HDMI port, but isn't. But I agree with Jeff that you're probably better off with the latest model Stick than an old MHL version.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos