Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can I get cable?

I don’t have cable TV. Is there a way I can pay extra to have cable TV with ROKU? I am in Canada. Thanks 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: Can I get cable?

You obviously can't use a physical cable since standalone Roku's don't have tuners, and even a RokuTV can't handle encrypted tuned channels. There are various Internet-based 'cable' alternatives, although I'm not sure just how many are available in Canada. Using them could cause issues with any data caps. Some cable services may offer their content through various apps, although not all offer it through Roku, but only phone/tablets and maybe computers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Can I get cable?

As @andyross mentioned, there are cable alternatives available for Roku devices. I suspect that some/most might be available in Canada. You can start by checking for YouTube TV and Sling TV. Both offer a number of "cable" channels. For more specific content, there's CBS All Access, HBO is available, and I'm sure I've overlooked more. If you have Amazon Prime Video, they also offer the ability to subscribe to other providers within their system. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos