Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geshyavitz
Level 8

Buying a second ROKU

I have a ROKU EXPRESS, have activated it and selected channels for that device.

If I buy another ROKU EXPRESS and activate it to my account, will I have to select the channels for it or will it inherit those that I've already selected?

What if the additional ROKU is other than an EXPRESS?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Michelle3
Level 12

Re: Buying a second ROKU

I think linking another Roku to your account WILL inherit the apps that you already added.

~Jordan

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

All Roku devices that are linked to the same user account will automatically have the same channels installed. For a new device, Roku also pushes a small number of additional channels that you might not already have, but they can be removed.

Also, if you remove a channel from one Roku, all Roku devices on that account will also have that channel removed. If you add a channel to one Roku, they will all get the same channel. The only control you have on an individual device is how the channel tiles are positioned on the home screen. That does not sync across devices. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@geshyavitz 

Thanks for the inquiry.

As the previous responders have posted, the new Roku device will have the same channels installed but there are a couple of things to mention in addition:

1) the order that the channels are arranged on the new Roku device will not be the same as your first device. You will need to arrange the channel order on you Home page as that will not be set up for you automatically.

2) all channels that are already on your account and on previous devices will be on the new Roku device, as long as the Roku device is supported by those channels.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos