Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Alan123
Level 7

Buying a new tv

I am currently searching for a new tv and need some help, please.

I use a Roku streaming stick to watch Now TV, Netflix and Prime and want to upgrade my TV to a 4KHD. After speaking to Roku customer services who informed me:

4K UHD TVs
Up to 2160p at 60fps (3840 × 2160) with up-scaling from 720p and 1080p. TV must have an HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2
4K UHD HDR TVs
Supports HDR10. TV must have an HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2

Now I know what HDR means and understand the HDMI and HDCP 2.2, which means (I think) I can only get true 4KHD if the TV has HDMI inputs with HDCP 2.2. 

So if I have the compatible TV and the correct cables will i be able to watch Now tv (Sky Cinema and Sky Sports) in 4kHD  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Re: Buying a new tv

Complicated aint it?

ya cant even buy a tv anymore without having a Doctorate.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
CParker
Level 10

Re: Buying a new tv

Whatever TV you look at, download the manual and LOOK in it to see if ALL of the HDMI inputs will handle 4K TV. I have a 50 inch Samsung 4K TV and couldn't figure out why my Roku Ultra was telling me it wasn't able to do 4K. Manual...... and find out only ONE of the 4 HDMI inputs can do 4K. Switch inputs. Roku Ultra happy.
I have an A/V Receiver, but... it's older and doesn't do 4K. If I want additional 4K I'd have to replace either the TV (for one that does 4K on more HDMI inputs) or the receiver.

If you're looking at a new TV anyways, why not consider a 4K Roku TV? Wouldn't that take care of the 4K question?

Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos