Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doltorik
Level 7

Buying Roku for older LG smart TV no longer supported by some streaming services?

I have an approximately 6 year old LG smart TV which I have used to watch streaming content on Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu.  I've noticed lately that both Netflix and Amazon video buffer very slowly on this particular TV, and are sometimes unwatchable.  Also, Hulu no longer supports this particular TV at all.  The TV does have an HDMI port.  I'm wondering if Roku could be a solution for me to continue to watch the streaming services to which I subscribe (Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu) on this TV, rather than buying a new TV.  Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Buying Roku for older LG smart TV no longer supported by some streaming services?

Yes, it'll be like breathe of fresh air compared to built in TV apps, get one.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MikeKAY
Level 7

Re: Buying Roku for older LG smart TV no longer supported by some streaming services?

If I purchase the ROKU Streaming Stick will that play all my ROKU just by plugging it into my older  LG smart TV. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@MikeKAY-

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "play all my ROKU".   Are you saying, perhaps, that you already have a Roku device linked to a Roku account, and you want to know if you can display all the same programming on the LG via a Roku device?

Your channels are associated with your Roku ACCOUNT, not  your Roku devices.  As long as you link the new Roku to the same Roku account, you should get all the same channels.  Add/delete on one and you add/delete on all Rokus linked to the same account.  The only exception to this is that any channel that is programmed to use the features and capabilities of newer Roku models will not install on older Roku models with which they are not compatible.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
MikeKAY
Level 7

"all my ROKU" was meant like you said  I have my main tv which is a ROKU ..I have an older TV LG Smart TV ..I have a digital antenna and  Internet Hard wired into both.  I am looking for my best option for ROKU on the LG   Streaming stick or Express4k +

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
renojim

@MikeKAY, yes, all your Roku channels/apps would show up if you connect a Roku device to your LG.  The stick vs. the Express 4k+ is a matter of personal preference.  Personally I don't care for the sticks for a couple of reasons.  One is because they don't support IR remotes, so if you lose the Roku remote or it fails you're forced to buy another Roku remote where the Express models support cheap universal remotes.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.