Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joysn
Level 7

Buying Roku Ultra devices...

Hello,
i am interested in buying an Roku Ultra (2018) device, but i can only find 3 on Amazon, all of them sold by some company without lots of "reviews". I found the info that Roku Ultra exists on Wikipedia, but nowhere else. Even the Roku website only mentions the Roku Express and Streaming Stick.
Where can i buy Roku Ultras? Or are they not sold anymore?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Buying Roku Ultra devices...

I just searched for Roku Ultra on Amazon, which does sell it directly. Link here.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

What country are you in? The US site has the Ultra available. From what I understand, model availability in other countries is more limited. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Joysn
Level 7

"scottypie1234" wrote:
I just searched for Roku Ultra on Amazon, which does sell it directly. Link here.

i normally use Amazon.de. Checked now the .com site, and yes, more selection there. But huge price differences, from 220€ to ~80€ on the .com site. :shock:
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Joysn" wrote:
"scottypie1234" wrote:

i normally use Amazon.de. Checked now the .com site, and yes, more selection there. But huge price differences, from 220€ to ~80€ on the .com site. :shock:

Make sure the Ultra is supported in your country.. I'd hate for you to buy the most expensive Roku only to find out that most US channels aren't available.

You'll probably need converters for the power supply as well.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Joysn
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
"Joysn" wrote:
"scottypie1234" wrote:

Make sure the Ultra is supported in your country.. I'd hate for you to buy the most expensive Roku only to find out that most US channels aren't available.

You'll probably need converters for the power supply as well.

How can i check if the Roku Ultra is supported in my country? Did not find anything on the Roku website nor on the Amazon pages. I tried to get to the Roku support, but there are only a few standard questions to choose from, not very customer friendly...
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Joysn 

This post may help answer your question: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=153331&p=646867#p646867

In short, any Roku device would be supported for use with a Roku account in your region, but channel providers may not have certified their channels for device models that are not currently sold in that region. You'll want to check with any specific channel provider that you're interested in using to see what Roku models they currently support on the Roku platform in your location. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Joysn
Level 7

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
@Joysn 

This post may help answer your question: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=153331&p=646867#p646867

In short, any Roku device would be supported for use with a Roku account in your region, but channel providers may not have certified their channels for device models that are not currently sold in that region. You'll want to check with any specific channel provider that you're interested in using to see what Roku models they currently support on the Roku platform in your location. 

Thanks,
Tanner

In short: it looks like that the Roku Ultra is only sold in USA (and UK), does it mean that the channel providers in other countries may - most likely - not accept that device? Interestingly, this is stated nowhere, one needs to buy a device, eventually find out that many channels are not supported - even though not stated on the Roku websites channel list - and be annoyed?
And i can not imagine why a channel provider needs to certify a device where its media will be played... are those devices so different that some players can destroy a channel?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Joysn" wrote:

And i can not imagine why a channel provider needs to certify a device where its media will be played... are those devices so different that some players can destroy a channel?

It's not the device or the channel. It's a licensing issue. Companies like Netflix and Amazon are only licensed to stream a title in a specific region or regions. They don't pay for worldwide streaming rights. In some cases, they can stream in a particular country, but only on a specific device. Amazon is like this. In some countries they can stream via web browser but not with a Roku player. 
Depending on what country the Roku account is created in, some channels may or may not be available in the channel store, and even some that appear won't work. The streaming sites know your geographical area based on your IP address, and won't allow a connection from somewhere they aren't authorized. Sometimes they are blocked in error, as we've heard of some people within the UK but on an island or something and they are blocked from accessing authorized UK channels. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Joysn

You can always reference http://www.roku.com in your location to see the current models that are sold in your region. These are the advertised models that are supported for use in your region. Any model sold in your region will work with the channels available in your region. If you go outside your region, and/or buy a device intended for use in a different region of the world, this wouldn't be an intended use case that we are able to support. 

Channel device compatibility, and regional channel availability are determined by each channel provider themselves when they develop their channel, and offer their service on our platform. Channels not available in your region will not be shown on the Roku Channel Store when viewing the version of our site specific to your current region. 

For example, in the UK, you can see all currently available channels on our UK web channel store at: https://channelstore.roku.com/en-gb/browse?locale=en-gb If you are located in a different region, you can use the option from the bottom of the page on the right to select your current region and view relevant information for your location. If your current country is not listed, we may not directly sell Roku devices in your location at this time. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos