Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sherbear43
Channel Surfer

Brand new Roku streaming stick 4K does not load after installation

Jump to solution

I just purchased the device and it seem to successfully install. However, when I try to watch any programs it does not get past the 99% loading.  Please help if you are able. I can’t imagine that I would have to reset the device, as I just purchased it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Brand new Roku streaming stick 4K does not load after installation

Jump to solution

@Sherbear43 

Since you have another Roku streaming device (Express) that is working fine on the 2.4ghz band (Express can only operate on this band as it is a 2.4ghz only device), a couple more things to try and then I would likely begin to suspect the new Streaming Stick 4k should be returned and replaced.

1. On the Streaming Stick 4k in the living room, try using the included power adapter plugged into a wall outlet rather than the TV's power port if you are currently powering in this manner.

1a.  If you are currently using wall power for power, try using a new power adapter. Either borrow the wall adapter from your Express or use a cell phone charger adapter (5v, 1amp).

2. Swap the locations of the devices.  Place the Express in the living room, and place the Streaming Stick 4k in the bedroom.  Again, use the power adapters in wall outlets for both devices.  (You are looking here to see if not only the Streaming Stick can now work successfully, but that the Express continues to work successfully in this new location.)

----

If the Streaming Stick fails to work in the bedroom and the Express works fine in the living room, then I think you can suspect a problem device re: Streaming Stick.  If both now work in their new locations, then maybe just some channel changes at the router may help when you place them both back in their preferred locations.

----

Hopefully starting to narrow down your issue now.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Sherbear43 

Settings > System > Check for updates

Run that a time or two. Then do a restart. That may help. Let us know if it doesn't.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Sherbear43
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you @DBDukes , I checked for updates and it has been updated. Still having the issue.  Any other advice you may have would be welcomed.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Sherbear43 

If every Channel/app fails to launch completely or gets stuck at 99%, try restarting both your Roku device and your Router. (including all peripherals, extenders, etc.).

If the above does not resolve it, try seeing if connecting to a mobile hotspot (if available) will allow you to launch a Channel/app fully.

Sherbear43
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I restarted both the Internet connection and router. Still having the issue with all Roku channels. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Sherbear43 

Have you tried the mobile hotspot if available to you?  Try it on the 2.4ghz band.

Two other things to generally try...

1. From the Roku, Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Network Connection.

2. Try using the 2.4ghz band connection of your network rather than the 5ghz.

----

What is router model number and ISP (internet service provider)?

Sherbear43
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar , Please excuse my lack of knowledge with technology. I don’t have a mobile hotspot. My router is Asus RT-N12 wireless –N300.  My Internet provider is spectrum. Does that help? I did an entire factory reset and installed again. This is a brand new device so I am quite concerned.  I called Samsung TV support to make sure I have all of the TV updates and they have confirmed.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

"Please excuse my lack of knowledge with technology."

👍.  No worries. Just let us know where we lose you in our responses if you have questions. 

----

Users are reporting various issues going on with their Roku devices and Spectrum so kind of have to figure if a Spectrum issue or a device issue.

Your particular Asus router is a N protocol dual-band router.  That means it can recognize dual-band devices (like the Streaming Stick 4k) and can operate them on either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands.  The 2.4ghz band may be a little slower, but has a greater wireless range.  Conversely, the 5ghz is a bit faster, but may have less of a range to see and maintain a connection with a device.

By default with this router, you should see two SSID (network names) to connect your devices to (you may even see 4 SSID depending who set this up).  One will be the 2.4ghz band, the other will be your 5ghz band.  (normally the number 5 is somewhere in the network name).  Normally, they will use the same password, but not always, and you can change these SSID to all use the same password if you wish in the router settings. (login to your router admin or use the accompanying router app to do this).

Basically, try connecting to each of the available SSID (networks) and see if the condition improves.  I would try the 2.4 ghz band or a Guest network if you see that option as well. (normally, guest SSID will not require a password).

Currently, Spectrum is encountering some power outages which is affecting some users according to downdetector.com. (https://downdetector.com/status/spectrum/)  Whether or not this is affecting their DNS servers which resolve web addresses (and streaming content), can't say for sure.

First, I would restart the Roku device again, and then see if I can connect to the other SSID bands available on your network (namely the 2.4 ghz which should give you a more solid, though slower connection.)  If the different SSID connections don't resolve the issue, then I would change the DNS servers to see if that is contributing to issue. 

Here are some easy instructions for changing DNS on an ASUS router. (https://support.myrepublic.com.sg/hc/en-us/articles/115003502373-How-do-I-check-or-change-my-DNS-set...).  Use Google public DNS for troubleshooting (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Feel free to post back with an update.

0 Kudos
Sherbear43
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar , I really appreciate the support and understanding.  I logged into the Asus account and checked, confirming that I am connected to 2.4GHz with the wireless router.  I've restarted the Roku device and television several times.  Still only loading 99% for all movies.  Can't view anything using this Roku device on my living room tv.

I purchased a separate Roku Express for the back bedroom yesterday.  Easy install and works fine.  It is just the living room tv (which is about 20 feet away from the router) that is causing issues.  

Any other recommendations?  I stopped by Dish satellite service thinking this was going to be a great thing and save me $.  But it's causing me stress.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Sherbear43 

Since you have another Roku streaming device (Express) that is working fine on the 2.4ghz band (Express can only operate on this band as it is a 2.4ghz only device), a couple more things to try and then I would likely begin to suspect the new Streaming Stick 4k should be returned and replaced.

1. On the Streaming Stick 4k in the living room, try using the included power adapter plugged into a wall outlet rather than the TV's power port if you are currently powering in this manner.

1a.  If you are currently using wall power for power, try using a new power adapter. Either borrow the wall adapter from your Express or use a cell phone charger adapter (5v, 1amp).

2. Swap the locations of the devices.  Place the Express in the living room, and place the Streaming Stick 4k in the bedroom.  Again, use the power adapters in wall outlets for both devices.  (You are looking here to see if not only the Streaming Stick can now work successfully, but that the Express continues to work successfully in this new location.)

----

If the Streaming Stick fails to work in the bedroom and the Express works fine in the living room, then I think you can suspect a problem device re: Streaming Stick.  If both now work in their new locations, then maybe just some channel changes at the router may help when you place them both back in their preferred locations.

----

Hopefully starting to narrow down your issue now.