Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lcook
Level 7

Brand new Roku already setup and linked to an account

Jump to solution

Bought a Roku streaming stick+  while staying at a hotel. So I am activating and attempting to setup at a hotel. Plug it in, power it up, it didn’t dawn on me right away that I didnt get the usual screens or prompts. I got to set up wireless network (again at hotel). I connect successfully hit home key and slowly I begin realizing that I am already linked to an account that is not mine with billing info and card on file.!!!! I assume I need to do a factory reset whether the linking occurred before I purchased it or when I connected to the hotel network. However when I did it mentioned something about re-pairing the remote with Roku stick... should I be concerned? Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Brand new Roku already setup and linked to an account

Jump to solution

It sounds like you got someone's return.  Pairing the remote shouldn't be a problem, but activating it on the hotel's Wi-Fi may be.  When you connected to their Wi-Fi did you have go through the hotel/dorm connect process?  If so, you'd have to use something like your phone's hotspot to get through the initial setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Brand new Roku already setup and linked to an account

Jump to solution

It sounds like you got someone's return.  Pairing the remote shouldn't be a problem, but activating it on the hotel's Wi-Fi may be.  When you connected to their Wi-Fi did you have go through the hotel/dorm connect process?  If so, you'd have to use something like your phone's hotspot to get through the initial setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos