Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dstivelman

Brand new Roku Express 4K+ blinks then turns off

Plugged in a brand new Roku Express 4K+ today. After connecting to the Wi-Fi network, it auto-updated, but never came back on. 
I did a hard reset and got back to the setup. Connected to wifi, then it auto-detected display type. After it determined my display type, I hit continue, the screen goes black, then the white light blinks five times and the Roku turns off. If I unplug it and plug it back in, the light blinks five times, then turns off. 
I’ve done a hard reset five times and it’s the exact same thing every time. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Brand new Roku Express 4K+ blinks then turns off

What is the screen size of the TV you are using? Is it a 720 or a 1080? Are you selecting a resolution your tv cannot handle? 

0 Kudos
Dstivelman

My tv is 1080. When I run auto-detect, it says “full high definition (1080p), 1080p content protection (hdcp1.4), this HDMI connection can play video at resolutions up to 1080p.” I would try selecting 720, but the only options I have are “use automatic,” which crashes the whole thing, “cancel,” which also crashes it, and “I’ve changed something, retry,” which just runs auto detect again. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Well anytime I buy something it doesn’t work properly I return it. I don’t play around. Do you have another TV to try? A Roku Express is also a very basic Roku. It does not do dual band. If I were you I would return it for something like the Streaming Stick 4K

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Dstivelman-

When you first go into Settings > Display type, where "Auto detect" is pre-selected, before you cluck on "Auto detect" you should be able to scroll through the list and click on other options. Since you say you have a 1080 tv, try setting it to 1080p.

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv says it supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.
  • A screen demonstrating that screen choice with a countdown timer and two choices:
        Yes, screen looks good
        No, I will choose a different setting
    The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos