Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saralyce

Brand New Roku Express Not Responding

So I bought a brand new Roku Express today. It’s my first Roku, so I don’t have an account or anything like that. I plugged it in, booted it up, and I can’t get past the “Let’s Get Started” page. It’s almost as if it’s not connecting to the remote? I have tried unplugging the Roku, resetting it, changing batteries in the remote, etc. and nothing is working. Every time I start the Roku back up, it has a purple light that stays on for about 20 seconds, then it starts flashing. Is there something I can do to fix this, or did I somehow end up with a faulty Roku? #rokuexpress 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Brand New Roku Express Not Responding

@saralyce 

The Roku Express comes with an infrared remote. There's no pairing of the device and remote. Just point the remote at the device and go.

Note that since it's IR, you must have clear line of sight. Ensure the front of the device and the front end of the remote can see each other.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
saralyce

Thank you for your response!! Unfortunately, I made sure that there was a clear line of sight, and it’s still not working. The Roku and the remote can see each other, but it doesn’t appear to be working regardless.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@saralyce 

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you might have a bad device. Or a bad remote.

You could test that if you have a universal remote around the house. Many support Roku. However, even if it turned out to be a bad remote, you'd probably need to return the device anyway.

If you were to exchange it, the Express 4K+ and (for now) the Streaming Stick 4K are both $40, which is $10 more than the Express.

If your ISP handles your WiFi router (as opposed to you owning it yourself) then be aware that some are changing the 2.4 GHz settings and causing issues with that band. The Express is the only current Roku device that is 2.4 GHz only. Others are dual band.

I'd see if someone else has an idea overnight, but if not, you may need to return/exchange the device.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@saralyce 

Maybe check to see if your Remote is working.  

Using your cellphone, turn on the camera and put your Remote (as if you are going to take a picture of it), and press some of the buttons.  You should be able to see the IR light flash.  (top of remote you will see a little IR blaster LED light).

If you see no light flashing, double check you have the batteries in correctly. (I know, I know.. but you would be surprised.)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

I have a brand new Roku just took out the box today it is not working in tried sending a refresh signal toy internet provider and non thing happens please help

0 Kudos