Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Bought a new Roku Express+ Stick Because My Roku TV said I should; now Express+ doesn't see Wifi

I have a 4.5 year old RCA TV with Roku built in.  The ads in Roku kept telling me my Roku was out of date and I should get an Express+ stick.  Indeed our Roku does seem to have issues.  I've wondered if this was a reason to drop Roku for another streaming solution, but thought maybe this Roku Express+ could be the solution.  I tried to find everywhere instructions on whether you could use an Express+ with an older Roku TV but didn't see any reason that wouldn't work anywhere.  I bought the Express+.  I connected it to the Roku TV via HDMI1 and went to HDMI1 on the input menu on the Roku TV.  My old Roku on the TV sees my wireless network just fine but the Roku Express+ (connected through HDMI1) can't get on wifi because it doesn't see the network.  I wondered if this was because there were the same MAC addresses, but they look different.  I tried disconnecting my TV from the wifi hoping that would work, but it didn't.   

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Bought a new Roku Express+ Stick Because My Roku TV said I should; now Express+ doesn't see Wifi

Do you know if your Wi-Fi is 5GHz or 2.4GHz?  The Express will only work on 2.4GHz.

0 Kudos