Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Bottom Line what are the free channels

Senior citizen here, be kind.............

From what I understand. Channels can be listed BUT not free or you have to pay extra for them.  We watch a lot of the cable programs such as Discovery, History, AE, etc. Now do I have to pay extra for these channels? As now we have Comcast cable.

[post moved to appropriate board]

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Bottom Line what are the free channels

@Joe8915 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about finding free channels visit our Support page here: How do I find free movies and TV shows?

For information about channels available on your Roku device, visit our Support page here: Will I have to pay for channels?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Bottom Line what are the free channels

@Joe8915 wrote:

Senior citizen here, be kind.............

From what I understand. Channels can be listed BUT not free or you have to pay extra for them.  We watch a lot of the cable programs such as Discovery, History, AE, etc. Now do I have to pay extra for these channels? As now we have Comcast cable.

If there's a price shown in the channel store, then you have to pay to even install the channel. However, from my experience about the only channels that require an up-front payment are screensavers and themes. 

Now, does a channel require a subscription? That is usually mentioned in the channel store, although prices are not usually listed there. For the channels you mentioned, there are two ways to get them. One is with a valid cable subscription that allows online streaming of the content. There are many such channels, and I believe Discovery and History fall into that bucket. But say you want to drop your cable/satellite TV subscription? There are some other ways to subscribe to content. Some offer a direct subscription with the content provider. HBO offers this, and I'm certain there are others. Another way is though a service such as Sling TV. They offer packages of channels kind of like a cable company, but they are all accessed through the Sling channel on a Roku. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos