Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Bottom Line what are the free channels

Senior citizen here, be kind.............

From what I understand. Channels can be listed BUT not free or you have to pay extra for them.  We watch a lot of the cable programs such as Discovery, History, AE, etc. Now do I have to pay extra for these channels? As now we have Comcast cable.

[post moved to appropriate board]

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Bottom Line what are the free channels

@Joe8915 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about finding free channels visit our Support page here: How do I find free movies and TV shows?

For information about channels available on your Roku device, visit our Support page here: Will I have to pay for channels?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Bottom Line what are the free channels

@Joe8915 wrote:

Senior citizen here, be kind.............

From what I understand. Channels can be listed BUT not free or you have to pay extra for them.  We watch a lot of the cable programs such as Discovery, History, AE, etc. Now do I have to pay extra for these channels? As now we have Comcast cable.

If there's a price shown in the channel store, then you have to pay to even install the channel. However, from my experience about the only channels that require an up-front payment are screensavers and themes. 

Now, does a channel require a subscription? That is usually mentioned in the channel store, although prices are not usually listed there. For the channels you mentioned, there are two ways to get them. One is with a valid cable subscription that allows online streaming of the content. There are many such channels, and I believe Discovery and History fall into that bucket. But say you want to drop your cable/satellite TV subscription? There are some other ways to subscribe to content. Some offer a direct subscription with the content provider. HBO offers this, and I'm certain there are others. Another way is though a service such as Sling TV. They offer packages of channels kind of like a cable company, but they are all accessed through the Sling channel on a Roku. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos