Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Blank screen

I just bought a Roku express. Set up started fine and it connected to internet. After connection to internet it asked to update device and I pressed ok. It then went to a blank screen, with nothing. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and Roku logo comes on then it jumps to blank screen again. I then did the reset button on the back and same thing, Roku logo then blank screen.
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Blank screen

Me too!  Very disappointing.  

Since I'm not eligible for "agent support" I figure my only choice is to return the unit with hopes they don't try to sell it again. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Blank screen

UPDATE: 

I continued to screw around with the unit after my last post.  I could hear when I change settings but couldn't see them.  So, I change HDMI ports and I could see that I had reset the unit.  No sooner did I set up the WiFi but the screen went blank again.  The problem was that the unit was trying to display in 1080p on my 720p TV.  This is a screwy way to set up an audio visual device.  It hearkens back to the 1980's when we had to make sure the display aligned to the video card on newfangled PC. 

Happy Ending:  I was able to get through the set up and get my 4-character code to complete the connection to RoKu®

0 Kudos