Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClaraRBP

Black screen when setting up my Roku Express

I am trying to set up a Roku Express on my TV (Sharp Aquos) but all I can see is a black screen.

I know the cables are the right places and I turned on the right channel because I can read "Roku" at the top corner of the screen but I still cannot connect it via the app.

I have already turn on/off the TV, mobile phone, internet connection; unplug/plug the Roku, TV, internet connection; reset the TV and internet connection but it still does not work

Could you please help me?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Black screen when setting up my Roku Express

Hi @ClaraRBP

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done. 

We would recommend trying the troubleshooting below and see if that will resolve the issue you're experiencing:

1. Try connecting the Roku player to a different input on the TV to see if the problem is with the connector on the TV.
  2. Try connecting the Roku player to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.

If still no dice, reply here with the serial number/device ID of your Roku Express. It can be found underneath the player itself.

Keep us updated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@ClaraRBP 

As @RokuKariza-D  indicated, make sure you have your TV set to the correct HDMI input (ignore any "name" the Input has, it needs to match the HDMI port # that your Roku is physically connected to).

I notice you said you are trying to set up your Roku with the app.  You cannot set up a Roku device with the app, you must use the remote for first time set up or to reconfigure the Roku's WiFi setup if the WiFi SSID/password has changed.

If you are moving your Roku from one room to another with the same WiFi SSID/password, then you arent setting it up, and you wont need the remote.

However, if you are moving your Roku to a new location with a different WiFi SSID/password, then you will need the/a remote to reconfigure your Roku's WiFi setup.

If you lost your remote and need a new one then you can get an IR-only Roku-compatible Universal remote (not for stick models) at Walmart/Best Buy/etc for $5-15.

You can also get an official $20 Voice Remote (RCAL7R) or $30 Voice Remote Pro (RCS01R) at the same or from Roku.com.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

0 Kudos
wilsonrj

I have the same problem and have tried everything. How can I send a PM to a Roku person

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @wilsonrj,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

Is there a light showing on your device? How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue with the black screen?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Jpchilcote

This may sound basic, but make sure your HDMI cable is pushed all the way into your Roku. I was getting the black screen and I just needed to adjust my cables

0 Kudos