Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Black Screen when setting up new Roku Express

I have an older model Sharp Aquos. I just bought a Roku express. And when trying to set up after it connects to the internet, etc. it goes blank.  If I unplug and then plug in the Roku power, it comes up with the Roku logo and then goes blank again.  I have read several posts with similar problems. Does anybody know how to fix this?  

Labels (1)
13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Black Screen when setting up new Roku Express

Same problem with a Streaming stick plus on older big screen sony.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Having the same issue with an Insignia that has HDMI ports but no USB, so I have a Roku Express plugged into the wall. Except I'm not even getting the logo, just a blank screen. Did I just waste $40?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@SueW11 @Steve1953 

Thanks for the note.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Dragonmum 

Thanks for the note.

Can you provide us with more information? Is there a light on the Roku device when it is plugged into the wall? Have you tried using another HDMI port on TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect your device to your TV?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem setting up new roku Express on video tv.  I have switched HDMI cables,  unplugged and replugged in roku into wall outlet.  Did a hard reset as directed by your website.  Light is blinking on Roku.  Still have blank TV screen that says no signal.  This is my second purchase of a ROKU Express this week from Target.  I returned the first one because I thought it was defective.  The second one I bought is doing the exact same thing.  Blank tv Screen.  I am on the proper HDMI port.  If I plug an old roku into exact same connections, the roku home screen immediately appears on the TV.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I just ended up returning mine to Amazon, where I purchased it.  Is your TV older?  If so, I came across something on the internet that seemed to indicate that the Roku does not work with the older models of televisions.  So, that may be the reason?  I guess the technology has changed so much in the last few years that there's just no way to get around it.  Wish I could be of more assistance.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I came to the conclusion that the TV was too old to work with current technology. I took the streaming stick plus to the upstairs TV which is new and it worked perfectly so I knew was not the roku that was at fault. Gave me an excuse to buy a new big screen tv. Works perfectly now. 😊

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for your reply.  The ROKU Express should work with any TV that has HDMI ports.  The Roku Express Plus actually comes with composite cables for those that do not have HDMI ports.  

I have HDMI ports on my Vizio TV.  Still a mystery to me why a Roku Express will not work on it.  Roku website says it will work with any older TV with HDMI ports.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Maybe I should have plugged them into the HDML ports (are those the color-coded ones)?  Anyway, it's too late for me, as I already sent mine back.  My TV has to be at least 10 years' old (and possibly older) and is a Sharp.

0 Kudos