Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhoGives
Level 7

Black Friday Roku SE, info and specs?

I just bought the Black Friday Roku SE and am trying to get it all setup. I have some issues and cannot find this model anywhere on the Roku site. Its a small white unit that looks nothing like the Roku SE in the support section.  Model: 3930X if that helps. 

Specifically what I need to know is how does it work with google assist (as stated on the box) as it appears to not have any voice or speech features at all.

Also is there a way to watch movies form my usb flash drive with this unit? There is only the micro usb port for charging the unit but with a splitter or a OTG cable perhaps a flash drive could be added as well? Any advice on this is apprecaited. 

Thank you! Im looking forward to getting my new Roku all setup! 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Black Friday Roku SE, info and specs?

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Regarding the specs of your Roku device (3930X), this device does not have a USB port therefore you will not be able to plug in a USB flash drive.

For information regarding voice features and google assistance on your device, visit our Support pages here:
What do I need to use voice commands with my Roku® streaming device?
How do I use Amazon Alexa with my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
WhoGives1
Level 7

I know the official policy. Im asking whats possible. Are there any real people here? Or just Roku robots? Ill ask again...

Is there a way to watch movies from my usb flash drive with this unit? Will a splitter or a OTG cable perhaps a flash drive could be added as well? Any advice on this is appreciated. 

Is there some sort of roku power user site that gives real responses and not just parrots official policy?

Thank you

0 Kudos
WhoGives1
Level 7

Well that was less than helpful. Lets try my second issue. 

I am in the U.S. bought my ROKU SE in the U.S. however any time I try to add a private channel I get this nifty error message. My account shows U.S. Everything I can find shows U.S. but I still get this nifty error message. Any fixes for this? 

The channel code provided is associated with a channel not available in your region.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@WhoGives1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that private channels are non-certified channels. Roku does not review or provide support for non-certified channels.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
WhoGives1
Level 7

Once again thank you for ignoring my question and quoting Roku policy at me Danny. Do you support your own website? Because EVERY SINGLE private channel I tried to add gave me the same error. That means 1. Your site is broken or 2. My unit isnt setup in the correct region. You DO support your own products do you not? Now if you are done quoting useless nonsense at me I am still waiting on a resolution. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

You're getting real responses. If the Roku doesn't have a USB port, how can you watch anything from a USB drive? What you can do is to watch local media that is streamed from another computer with a DLNA server running on it. But the only Roku that you can directly attach a USB drive to is the Ultra. 

As far as private channels, they do not provide any support for them, so you're not going to get any sort of official response. I have no idea what channel(s) you've tried to add, but that message appears to answer the question. The channel isn't allowed in your geographic area. That's something that Roku doesn't control. The channel developer is the only one that can change where a channel is permitted. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
WhoGives1
Level 7

"If the Roku doesn't have a USB port, how can you watch anything from a USB drive?"

In the ways I suggested. Did you even read my post?

"As far as private channels, they do not provide any support for them, so you're not going to get any sort of official response. I have no idea what channel(s) you've tried to add, but that message appears to answer the question. The channel isn't allowed in your geographic area. That's something that Roku doesn't control. The channel developer is the only one that can change where a channel is permitted."

I dont need an official response. I just need a working response. What you are telling me is absurd. Unless every one of the private channels I tried no longer work in the U.S.? Ill tell that to my Roku in the next room that gets them just fine and we will have a nice laugh at your expense. 
Asking once again for something useful before I just take this piece of **bleep** back to the store. 

1Nowhere TVH9DWCFree
2Unofficial TwitchTwitchTVFree
3The Internet ArchiveNMJS5Free
4Wildernessfl821095Free
5AmateurlogicAlogicFree
6Great ChefsgreatchefsFree
7Ace TVacetvFree
8Roku Movieszb34acFree
9Maddy MationMADDYMATIONFree
10m3u Blackm3ublackFree
11Redbox Digital BetaRBXDIGITALPPV
12Neon Party GamesH2CLHP$1.99 (to remove ad)
13EuroRokueuroroku$20/month
14FilmOnNMEVAFree
15ClikiaclikialiveFree
16Back from the GraveBFTGFree
17Toonami Aftermath TVRRNNKLQFree
18Al JazeeraaljazzeraenglishFree
19Super StalkerSTBEMUFree
20NewswirenewswireFree
21Syntrix BetasynctrixbetaFree
22Hero TalkiesherotalkiesFree
23MaddyGTV Late NightMGTVLNFree
24Cannabis ChannelSPTFMFree
25Pub-D-HubPUBDHUBFree

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yes, I read your posts. I'm not a Roku employee, just another user like yourself. I can offer suggestions that have worked for others. 

The micro-usb port is for power only. It doesn't offer any connectivity to the OS itself, so no USB hub or other sort of splitter will work. None of your proposed solutions will work, which is why I suggested using a DLNA server on your home network.

As to the private channels, I have no suggestions. I haven't tried using one in quite some time, so I don't know if Roku is blocking any of them for possible copyright violations. That's one area that Roku has been very vigilant, since they have had a number of lawsuits from copyright holders.

I did just try adding FilmOn, and it installed fine. I'm playing a video on it right now. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
WhoGives1
Level 7

Hi Dan, 

Thank you for addressing one of my concerns at least. My other roku adds these channels just fine as well, leading me to believe its either my new roku unit or the account associated with it. Both of which Roku should support. Convincing them to do their jobs is becoming more trouble than it is worth. 

0 Kudos