Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GReyn
Level 7

Before Purchasing

I have one Roku and we would like to cut the cable ties.  We will keep our internet only with our company.  If I have that am I still able to get live TV and local channels?  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
andyross
Level 16

Re: Before Purchasing

Most channel apps are tied to TV or other services. Some local stations may offer limited access. Otherwise, you could look into Locast to see what's available if you can't use an antenna.

https://www.locast.org/

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Before Purchasing

@GReyn wrote:

I have one Roku and we would like to cut the cable ties.  We will keep our internet only with our company.  If I have that am I still able to get live TV and local channels?  

As far as local live TV, if you can get it over the air with an antenna, then your Internet connection is immaterial. As mentioned, Locast offers local channels for a number of major metropolitan areas, so with Internet access you can still get them all in case your OTA reception is poor. 

If you are referring to some of the channels you now receive via your cable TV service, many can still be watched by subscribing to YouTube TV or Sling TV. 

I can get all of my local stations with an antenna I have mounted inside my garage up high. And Locast is an option for my location. I don't care about any of the "cable" channels, and subscribe to only a couple of streaming providers. Unless you're completely hooked on a particular channel that can't be found on any Roku provider, you might be just fine with your streaming options. We certainly are here. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos