Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Basic help

Have a 2nd home in another state, obviously want to be able to watch TV when there for a couple of weeks here & another week there BUT don't want to pay cable when not there. Is Roku something I may want to alleviate this problem?? 

ALSO

Can I turn it off when not there using it?? Or do I need to pay monthly??

THANKS!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Basic help

There is no charge for connecting a Roku or continuing to use it.  You can connect multiple Roku devices to a single Roku account.  You can use your Roku(s) to view the many free channels (mostly ad-supported with non-skippable ads, maybe a LOT of them) with no cost other than the non-Roku cost of your internet connection.

If you do have a paid cable subscription at home, many of the channels on your cable will be available as channels on your Roku as well -- either live or as on-demand programs viewed when you wish.  For these, you'll need to authenticate your cable subscription by signing into them via your cable credentials.

Most other content (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.) requires a paid subscription of some sort, but many can be subscribed and canceled with relatively little hassle.  For most, one subscription can be viewed on multiple devices so you could watch at either place.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos