Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jemadsen
Level 8

BRAND NEW Roku Express 3930R cannot get past initial software update

Jump to solution

Today, I just received my new Roku Express 3930R. I hooked it up, powered it on, set language, setup wifi and it proceeded to update the software. After downloading the software, the device rebooted six times. I am back to the first screen of the setup, Language. I went to the support page and searched every possible topic, but nothing.

Some of the steps:

• Tried the initial setup prompts four times
  • Power cycle the Roku
  • Hardware factory reset

What is my next step?

This is my fifth Roku and the first that did not work right out of the box.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jemadsen
Level 8

Re: BRAND NEW Roku Express 3930R cannot get past initial software update

Jump to solution

From this page

"renojim

Level 21
Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

With OpenWRT did you disable "Legacy" mode (802.11.b) in the settings for the 2.4GHz radio?"

I found this thread and this appears to be the solution. Thanks @renojim

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-Express-not-detecting-wifi/td-... 

Jens

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jemadsen
Level 8

Jump to solution

After I completed my post, the Roku rebooted itself from the Language page. After several reboots, ti returned to the language page.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

This has worked for some people with the same problem (but not for others). You might want to at least give it a try:

Repeat the setup by connecting to a different wifi network - perhaps via a wifi hotspot on your mobile phone or by taking it to a friend's house - and see if it will complete the startup.

If successful, then redo the wifi connection to use your intended wifi network via Settings > Network > Set up connection.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
jemadsen
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for your suggestion.

I connected to my DSL WiFi modem and everything is working EXCEPT it is not behind my firewall. I move my WiFi router and placed my Roku on top of it. The Roku now does not see the signal from the WiFi router. I dug out an old Wifi router and was able to connect it it.

I will note that my other two Rokus are both working with the current router.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

Is the "current router" broadcasting on 2.4GHz?  The Express models don't support 5GHz Wi-Fi.  You don't say what the model numbers are of your other two Rokus.

jemadsen
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you reojim for your response. 

Yes it is 2.4 GHz. My current router's SSID indicate which band the signal is on. The older Roku Express (2017) and the Roku Ultra (2017) are both on the 2.4 GHz band. Both indicate the signal is excellent and both are located in other rooms at least 30' away. Note that the Ultra also show the 5 GHz SSID.

I also reset the Roku and went through the PAINFUL process of activation with all the SALES screens to get back to where I was.

BUT!!! My wifi router was not available. I am back on my DSL modem. My Roku app cannot find the device.

Does this mean that I must find a WiFi router that works with this device????

0 Kudos
jemadsen
Level 8

Jump to solution

Greetings!

I have tried all of the recommendations that I have found on the Roku support site and the Community pages. Summarized here:

• After several attempts of performing the required initial software update, which allowed me to connect to my network, then immediately started downloading the update. After several reboots, the Roku had me redo the initial start up, but when I went to connect to my network, it said my passcode failed. I perform a hard reset and repeated two more time.
  • I searched the Community and Googled for phrases that might lead me to a solution. I posted my initial question. Thanks to @makaiguy recommendation, I connected to my DSL modem.
  • After another reset, I was able to connect to the modem and complete the download. After an extensive set of entering my email address, going to the Roku site scrolling through page after page of stuff, I finally got to the main screen.
  • I attempted to connect to my WiFi and it did not appear. I pulled out my old WiFi router out of my recycle box and hooked it up. The Roku found the old WiFi router and was able to connect. I took the old router off the network.
  • I reset the Roku and my WiFi still did not show up. I reverted back to the DSL modem. I was able to connect to the modem but it still would not list the WiFi.
  • I also set the WiFi 2.4 GHz radio to channel 2, as recommended by @atc98092.
  • I reviewed the comments by @RokuDanny-R.

My network:

• The faulty Roku Express 3930R about 4’ from the WiFi router
  • Two existing Rokus, Ultra and Express. Both work and show excellent signal quality. Both work after the channel change. Both are in rooms approximately 30’ from the WiFi router.
  • Two Smart TVs with WiFi
  • Several computers, most are wired, a couple are wireless
  • Smart phones and tablets, wireless

None of my wireless devices have any problems connecting to the WiFi.

Since the faulty Roku did see the network before the software update, I would suggest that the problem with the update. I just checked and this Roku was last updated today, April 4 at 10:20 AM.

This was supposed to be an upgrade of my old Roku Express.

0 Kudos
jemadsen
Level 8

Jump to solution

From this page

"renojim

Level 21
Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

With OpenWRT did you disable "Legacy" mode (802.11.b) in the settings for the 2.4GHz radio?"

I found this thread and this appears to be the solution. Thanks @renojim

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-Express-not-detecting-wifi/td-... 

Jens

View solution in original post

0 Kudos