Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cringer
Level 7

Antivirus - do i need to install one?

Jump to solution

I purchased McAfee antivirus for my laptop and it indicated I may need to install on my roku.  Is this necessary or would it already be supported by my internet provider?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Antivirus - do i need to install one?

Jump to solution

[post moved to appropriate board]

@cringer 

Thanks for the inquiry.

You do not need to install antivirus for your Roku device.

If you are concerned about security with your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I keep my Roku account secure?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

[post moved to appropriate board]

@cringer 

Thanks for the inquiry.

You do not need to install antivirus for your Roku device.

If you are concerned about security with your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I keep my Roku account secure?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

Not only is it unneeded, but there's no way you can install one. The Roku OS is based on Linux, but highly modified and there is no way for any software to be installed that could be malicious. Even the few Roku devices that have USB ports have any way to install software from them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos