Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okaussie3
Level 9

Another Dolby 5.1 question

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Sceptre u435cv-umr TV.  Actually I purchased the u435cv-umc and was shipped this model instead.  Here is the issue.

I get perfect Dolby from the Antenna stations but none from the Roku.  It tells me in the owners manual that the HDMI ports will only send PCM.  So am I screwed??

The UMC set I ordered states it is ROKU ready including their remote will replace the Roku remote.

So, since they sent me the UMR version, am I screwed or do I need to set up this model differently.

Neither set has the passthrough option.

I am using the SPDIF optical output to a Kenwood VR-507 AVR.  Had no problems with my previous TV in getting some Dolby from the Roku Streaming Stick +..

TIA

Bill

[post moved to appropriate board]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
okaussie3
Level 9

Re: Another Dolby 5.1 question

Jump to solution

I got the extender and installed it.  Turns out that the TV back panel was generating so much heat that it was being transferred to the Roku.  Ran fine until the TV was in 4K UHD mode causing the set to run hotter, thus causing the Overheating condition on the ROKU.

After plugging in the extender and running 4k UHD videos from You Tube for about an hour straight, no signs of overheating.

The Extender, to this point, has fixed my overheating issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

If the TV will only pass PCM from external connections, then yes there's nothing you can do about that. What you can do is use an external sound system, such as a soundbar or AVR. You would connect the Roku directly to that device via HDMI and the TV is no longer needed to process the audio. If you consider a sound bar, remember it has to have HDMI inputs. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

Jump to solution

I typed to Sceptre about the question and they told me that it will work.  I have to turn the digital audio to 5.1 in the audio settings and that should work.

I have done that but have no luck in finding anything streaming that is in Dolby to test it.

I found the Dolby channel but I can't get add the channel to my device to test the Dolby.

I know the settings on the TV is correct now since the TV Tuner sends Dolby to my AVR.

I will keep trying to find a Dolby source to test it.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

I hate it when they hide settings like that in a menu instead of making it the default. I don't know of any free channels that offer 5.1, but you can certainly find it on Netflix, Prime Video or Vudu. Most of YouTube videos are 2 channel, but I think they have some videos with 5.1 in there somewhere for testing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
okaussie3
Level 9

Jump to solution

I only have YouTube TV, Britbox and Acorn TV as my pay services and have yet to find anything there that has Dolby.

I know my AVR is old (2002 when I purchased it) and need to upgrade but being retired and only have Social Security, my funds are limited.  It does have the Fiber connection so that is what I am using and know that it does work in Dolby.

Thanks,,

Bill

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@okaussie3 wrote:

I only have YouTube TV, Britbox and Acorn TV as my pay services and have yet to find anything there that has Dolby.

I know my AVR is old (2002 when I purchased it) and need to upgrade but being retired and only have Social Security, my funds are limited.  It does have the Fiber connection so that is what I am using and know that it does work in Dolby.

Thanks,,

Bill

OK, this might be the issue. Almost all online streaming services now use Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), which is not backwards compatible with DD. So if your sound device (AVR, soundbar or TV) doesn't support DD+, all you can get is two channel stereo. The only Roku that could ever convert DD+ to DD was the original Ultra (model 4640). Chances are really good your AVR doesn't support DD+. Also, some TVs cannot send DD+ over optical, but I have no idea if yours does or doesn't. Now that setting you changed on your TV might enable converting DD+ to DD, but until you can find a channel with 5.1 audio to test, we'll just have to wait. 

Dan
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

Jump to solution

My AVR is so old it doesn't have DD+.

It does, however have surround options like Pro Logic.

Guess that will have to do until I can afford to upgrade..

0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

Jump to solution

I downloaded the Season 8 Episode 1 of Mad About You which is in Dolby 5.1.  Left it on my PC and used the Roku Media Player to play it through the Roku.  The AVR automatically switched to Dolby.

So, I assume that all is now well.  Just limited Dolby content.

0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

Jump to solution

I found some Dolby test videos in You Tube and tried them.  They too, only go to Stereo and won't go to Dolby.

The Roku Media Player does send Dolby from my media server to my AVR.  Does that mean the Roku is setup properly and I just have limited Dolby content to listen to or is the player different and I have other issues other than my AVR is too old??

0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

Jump to solution

I got the extender and installed it.  Turns out that the TV back panel was generating so much heat that it was being transferred to the Roku.  Ran fine until the TV was in 4K UHD mode causing the set to run hotter, thus causing the Overheating condition on the ROKU.

After plugging in the extender and running 4k UHD videos from You Tube for about an hour straight, no signs of overheating.

The Extender, to this point, has fixed my overheating issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos