Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

All three Rokus won't connect to wireless, $39 charge to update software.

Jump to solution

Had them for a year. Went online and tech called and said would have to charge $39 to update software. I said there should be no charge and he said then fix it yourself and hung up.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: All three Rokus won't connect to wireless, $39 charge to update software.

Jump to solution
Hi there,

Roku does not charge for support, activation, or software updates. You were not speaking with the official Roku support team.

Please see more information here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Babyblue25 wrote:

Then in this case who do we contact for updating Roku? The number I called is [content removed]. Asking for 69.99 and discount to 29.99. 

That is NOT Roku support. They don't have a toll-free number. PLEASE don't pay them, or give them any personal information. Roku does NOT charge for accounts, updates, or anything else. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Update: My apologies to ROKU. My problem not a failure of my ROKU device but of my internet provider and the modem. When I attempted to log on to ROKU's link I did indeed reach a scam site where I interacted with a scamster who demanded $ to provide a software update. Realizing something wasn't right I argued with the guy who finally said "fix it yourself." 

It would nice if we could form SEAL Team #10 to hunt down and terminate these scammers.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Hi there,

Roku does not charge for support, activation, or software updates. You were not speaking with the official Roku support team.

Please see more information here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

You reached a scam site. All they want is your money, or to sometimes connect to your computer. They would not have done anything to assist you, other than take your money. As Tanner mentioned, genuine Roku support will never request a payment for assistance, nor will they ask to connect to your computer remotely.

We might be able to assist if you provide some details. What model Roku devices do you have? Numbers, not names. Did they all fail to connect at the same time, or did each device lose connection at a different time? 

In the Roku settings menu, I believe under the advanced system settings, there is a Reset Network Connections selection. Try that on one and see if it will now connect. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Babyblue25
Level 7

Jump to solution

Then in this case who do we contact for updating Roku? The number I called is [content removed]. Asking for 69.99 and discount to 29.99. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Babyblue25 wrote:

That is NOT Roku support. They don't have a toll-free number. PLEASE don't pay them, or give them any personal information. Roku does NOT charge for accounts, updates, or anything else. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Babyblue25 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Babyblue25
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick reply. Who can I call to update the software? If it auto updates, what else can be done to be up and running.

thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Babyblue25 

Thanks for the note.

If you are trying to check manually for a software update, from the Home screen select Settings > System > System update > Check Now.

For more information about how to update the software on a Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Update: My apologies to ROKU. My problem not a failure of my ROKU device but of my internet provider and the modem. When I attempted to log on to ROKU's link I did indeed reach a scam site where I interacted with a scamster who demanded $ to provide a software update. Realizing something wasn't right I argued with the guy who finally said "fix it yourself." 

It would nice if we could form SEAL Team #10 to hunt down and terminate these scammers.