Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derollf

Akai plasma connecting to Roku device help

I have an old Akai plasma. My oldest Roku box stopped supporting Hulu last year and just stopped supporting Netflix last month. I have a newer box, but it has the av AND the hdmi connector. Av was connected to the "in" for the old box, do I plug new boxes av there and get the convertor to plug thechdmi into the dvi u mentioned u had on ur Sony? I'm confused

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Akai plasma connecting to Roku device help

So, you have an old tv without hdmi input, yes you will need a converter, not just plug or cable converter they don't work. You need a box with circuitry to properly convert from one signal to two. Like this one:

TNP HDMI to DVI Converter with Audio Out - HDMI to DVI Video Audio Adapter Sound Splitter to 3.5mm A...

Dvi is only video, you need a separate audio line which the above converter gives you. 

As for your newer Roku that replaced your old Roku, it still has av outputs? That makes it at least 5 or 6 years old, its channels are going to stop working soon too, I would upgrade to newest Roku you can, so you get ALL channels going forward. All the Roku needs is hdmi output, which links to hdmi input on the converter, the video is sent to tv by dvi, and the audio by breakout cable 3.5mm to rca. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos