Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Osmigo
Level 7

Adding Rokus, keeping same channel layouts

We are going to add 4 Rokus in our house, to our other TVs. Is there a way to do it and keep the same channel layouts on the Home Screen, and not have to configure each one from scratch?

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
vnazario
Level 8

Re: Adding Rokus, keeping same channel layouts

Hello:

The answer is NO. If you add/link all 4 Rokus to your account, they will have the same channels and when you delete a channel in one box it will also be deleted on the other boxes. You will have to re-place/re-arrange the channels to your liking on each box individually. You will also have to link each box individually to your subscription channels (Netflix, Hulu+, etc.) and for playlist type channels like Youtube.

Hope I have answered your question.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
Osmigo
Level 7

Re: Adding Rokus, keeping same channel layouts

"vnazario" wrote:
Hello:

The answer is NO. If you add/link all 4 Rokus to your account, they will have the same channels and when you delete a channel in one box it will also be deleted on the other boxes. You will have to re-place/re-arrange the channels to your liking on each box individually. You will also have to link each box individually to your subscription channels (Netflix, Hulu+, etc.) and for playlist type channels like Youtube.

Hope I have answered your question.


I think you did, thanks! So if I add 4 Rokus to my account, all the channels on the original Roku will be there - the ones I deleted won't be there. The subscribed channels (like Sling TV) will have to be added individually. And I'll have to rearrange the order on the home screen.

What about the non-subscription private channels that I've added? Will they be there, too?
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Re: Adding Rokus, keeping same channel layouts

"Osmigo" wrote:
"vnazario" wrote:
Hello:

The answer is NO. If you add/link all 4 Rokus to your account, they will have the same channels and when you delete a channel in one box it will also be deleted on the other boxes. You will have to re-place/re-arrange the channels to your liking on each box individually. You will also have to link each box individually to your subscription channels (Netflix, Hulu+, etc.) and for playlist type channels like Youtube.

Hope I have answered your question.


I think you did, thanks! So if I add 4 Rokus to my account, all the channels on the original Roku will be there - the ones I deleted won't be there. The subscribed channels (like Sling TV) will have to be added individually. And I'll have to rearrange the order on the home screen.

What about the non-subscription private channels that I've added? Will they be there, too?


Hello:

Yeah, your private channels will also be ported to all your boxes if linked to the same account. Just remember that when you delete a channel from one box it will be deleted on all 4 of your boxes. You may want to have separate accounts for the kids if you need to worry about channels being added/deleted on your primary box.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
doctauri
Level 7

Re: Adding Rokus, keeping same channel layouts

"vnazario" wrote:
Hello:

  The answer is NO.  If you add/link all 4 Rokus to your account, they will have the same channels and when you delete a channel in one box it will also be deleted on the other boxes.  You will have to re-place/re-arrange the channels to your liking on each box individually.  You will also have to link each box individually to your subscription channels (Netflix, Hulu+, etc.) and for playlist type channels like Youtube.

Hope I have answered your question.

I have to say, the fact that 3 years later and this still isn't an option is pretty sad.  I just bought 6 new Roku Ultra's, and having to set each up independently really sucks.  It would be nice to be able to set one as the master, and have all the others mirror that one's layout.  If not that, at least give me a web interface so that I can set the layout via drag & drop.
And as long as I'm requesting features, why can I sign into my Amazon account from the roku.com/link setup but not Netflix, Google, Youtube, and even my cable/satellite provider?  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Adding Rokus, keeping same channel layouts

"doctauri" wrote:
And as long as I'm requesting features, why can I sign into my Amazon account from the roku.com/link setup but not Netflix, Google, Youtube, and even my cable/satellite provider?  

That's probably out of Roku's control. The provider has to allow it, and have some sort of single sign on process. I'm sure that Roku could have some sort of password repository that your account can access, but I'm not certain I want Roku to have all of that information of mine stored. One single data breach and you've lost all of those passwords at once. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos