Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Activation fee?

Thanks. I will reach out tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

How do I send you a PM to follow up on my Roku activation issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@WaltSm53 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For steps on how to send a private message, visit our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

We had the same scam.  Attempted to activate a 3rd and 4th Roku and when it said to go to roku.com/link when we put that in a google search bar several results came up and we called the number that appeared (844-540-7444) and got the spiel about having to pay for more than one Roku... Should have known that it was a scam since we already have 2 Roku's.  However, somehow the new Roku's worked after we gave them the activation code (4 letters).  Not sure how that is possible.

And unfortunately I gave them my credit card number and when I saw a bill from something called Colossus Ventures I immediately called the credit card company and had the card terminated.  My concern is if they now have access to my Roku account.  I am pretty sure I did not give them my Roku password but will change it just in case. 

Pretty convincing scam.. the representative even said to call him back if we had other problems, and that we should get a follow up call on how satisfied we were with his service!    

Roku should investigate how a roku.com/link appears so high in a Google search... and warn people to only use that exact web address.  

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Set up fee

I just tried activating my second roku and was told I had to pay either $79 for 6months or $129 for a lifetime. I was told I should have paid this when I first set up my first roku, why advertise no activation fee then secretly charge a “set up” fee? I’m about to return my roku and go to amazon fire

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Smartin2015 

Thanks for reaching out with your inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information visit our Support pages here:
Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?
Do I need a separate Roku account for each of my Roku® streaming devices?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks! After going directly thru my Roku on my phone I was able to set it up, when I typed in that roku.com/link it said failed and gave me ‭1 (855) 695-0019‬ to call, they were very rude and said I couldn’t activate without paying. I was about to say forget it and take the second roku back but thankfully found this forum. Just a heads up a lot of people are most likely getting scammed by this 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I purchased a 2nd Roku to use on my 2nd tv.  When I tried to activate, a number popped up on my tv when the activation didn't work.  They said my old account was so old, that there was no fee to activate, but there was a $79 fee for 5 years. I didn't hear the fee for unlimited use.  How can your roku device be railroaded with a phone number link to an 800 number to scam folks?  How do I activate the roku express and link to an existing account?  I wanted the 2nd roku because my smart tv doesn't always change channels like it should without to use the Spectrum app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I tried 436sun's search @ Google.com 

The first result was a bad ad pointing to sites.google.com/nk/link which forwards to https://sites.google.com/view/nkbusinesslinks/home an outfit under the name NKtech

There are "activate links" that point to www.geeksafeguard.com.  The page is titled "Official site" and uses Roku's logo and Purple and white color scheme:

fraudulent sitefraudulent site

geeksafeguard.com was registered in October 2019 by an outfit called Promo People.

promopeople.com was registered in January 2004, and is using a contact privacy service, and running their name servers through Cloudflare.

4 or 5 legitimate Roku.com links follow, then more fakes.  Some using Google Sites, then device-roku.com which is registered through eranet.com, a chinese registrar and hosting company.

A quick scan of the first page of my Google.com results has a considerable mix of official and fraudulent appearing results for the search term "roku.com/link".  I figure your web team ought to be able to run analytics for your major site entry points like "roku.com/link" and find the frauds. 

Los Gatos, looks like you have a problem.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ncheathbar 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information visit our Support pages here:
Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

We would recommend trying to perform a factory reset on your device and trying to set up and activate your device once again.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos