Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Activation fee for multiple devices?

Is there an activation fee or any other type of fee if you have multiple roku's? I heard a rumor that if you activate more than 2 roku's on the same account there is a fee, is this true?

21 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: Activation fee?

No.

Maybe somebody is confusing it with some cable or satellite services that may treat more then 2 using a related streaming app as extra boxes and charge to use that streaming app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@bferreri 

Thanks for reaching out with your inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information visit our Support pages here:
Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?
Do I need a separate Roku account for each of my Roku® streaming devices?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

When I tried to activate a new (third) roku device this month to replace one that did not work well, I could not activate it without calling Roku. I was told that because I was activating a 3rd device I had to pay either a $79 one year fee or $129 lifetime fee. I was so irate the rep gave me the lifetime for $79. So yes there is a fee that Roku doesn't mention when you purchase a Roku. I may file a complaint with the CT consumer protection committee. 

Highlighted
Level 17

You weren't talking to a true roku employee, and you were robbed by thief. I have 9 roku devices and NEVER paid a thing to have them subscribed to my account. Sorry, you've learned your lesson to not go to google or any search engine for contact info.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I received directions to call a number directly from my TV when I tried to active the device. I had no way of knowing it was a scam. Now I will definitely file a complaint and stop payment of the fake fee. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

How was a scammer able to deny the activation of a Roku device on my TV (I tried several times) and forced me to call a number to pay a fee?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Where did you buy it?

I think one possible way to "hack" a Roku would be to use the secret network menu to force DNS to some malicious server. They then return it, and the store just resells it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I purchased 2 Rokus from Walmart online during Black Friday sales. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@WaltSm53 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you experienced.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

I'd be more than happy to take a closer look regarding this issue. Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator