Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Activation code not displaying

Jump to solution

My ISP changed my static IP to a DHCP assigned IP...  problem went away...   I had DAYS and DAYS of diagnosis and everyone not understanding what I was trying to communicate to them.  I did ALL the diagnosis steps all parties made me do, including me finding the "secret screen" hack.  All connectivity tests there worked  I used "ping" and speed tests and green checks from third party apps (Netflix and ROKU)  all showed good or better and connectivity existed.

Still no authorization code...  Local ISP and I hashed it out.... a "last ditch" attempt to "try something" ended up changing my static IP to a DHCP assigned IP....    Problem now gone....    

Just add this to your diagnostic trail to help customers in the future...   It might be worth a try....  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have new Roku Express out of box.  The software appears to try to download, but then no activation code just a blank screen.  Tried to reset, tried multiple times.  What to do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@dllud 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I did all that multiple times and still no link code.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@dllud Thanks for following up. Did you connect your Roku device to a different wireless network (such as a mobile hotspot or a friend/neighbor's wireless network)? It's unlikely that you still wouldn't receive an activation link code from separate network connections. 

What exactly do you see on screen? Could you reply with a picture of what you see? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

When activating  how do I enter my email account?.  From my computer? .... is not working.

Also, I got no code in my email.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@unteg369 wrote:

When activating  how do I enter my email account?.  From my computer? .... is not working.

Also, I got no code in my email.

The code comes from the Roku Screen after the firmware update, assuming this is a new Roku device.

Then you create an account by registering on Roku, it will prompt you for the access code at "roku.com/activate".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

My firmware set up ok but I must have missed the code and I'm now trying to link.  How do I get the code if I missed it??

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@MissCB wrote:

My firmware set up ok but I must have missed the code and I'm now trying to link.  How do I get the code if I missed it??

It's pretty obvious when you get the Code screen, the Roku will not work without activation. It will stay on the Code Screen until activation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@MissCB 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you did not receive a activation link code for your device, we would recommend try performing a factory reset on your device.

For more information on how to perform a factory reset on your device, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos