Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No activation code provided for a new Roku device.

Jump to solution

Is that all you can say, "have you tried rebooting it" yes mate we have over a hundred times and still nothing...... Fix it or I will look into legal action, sale of faulty goods, miss representation (by way of saying you have customer support) you clearly don't, I've tried phoning.... One ring hangs up.... Emailing with the same response you give here, switch it off and on AGAIN, fix it you thieving twats... There's over a thousand people with this problem and probably more, each paying £40-50+ and you do nothing 🤬 

Highlighted
Level 7

Unable to receive activation code

Jump to solution

I am actually surprised as to how many people are encountering this problem. I am trying to set up my new device (Roku Streaming Stick +).  I have activated a Roku account online. I am able to get to the screen in which I am supposed to enter the code in order to link my Roku.  However, I receive a message stating "There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again." I am then prompted to either get a new code, go back or seek more options. I have tried each option and pressed "*" for help. I have read through every thread regarding this problem in the "community support." That being said I have done everything suggested. I have restarted the device as well as resetting to factory settings. I have tried a different network, tried restarting my router, modem and the device to no avail. Please help. I really don't want to have to return this device and find another streaming option. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Unable to receive activation code

Jump to solution

@Isa 

Thanks letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Linking/Activation Problems

Jump to solution

I bought my roku on Black Friday at Walmart. I got 3 of them and they have been the worst Rokus I have ever tried to activate! The other 2 had the same problem as described below...but they eventually linked.
Now I’m on the last one & linking my account with the activation code.  When I get through the process online, the Roku then restarts and then the linking screen re-appears with a new activation code. I have tried about 20 times now. I have restarted and factory reset many times... still not working and the same vicious cycle over and over. Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Linking/Activation Problems

Jump to solution

Some people that have had a similar issue could get it completed by using an alternate Internet connection, such as a phone hotspot. Then once the registration completed and the setup was complete, they would move it back onto the home network and no further issues. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Wow! You got someone to assist you!  I received no help with the same issue you are having.

Good for you! I ended up just buying a firestick that works flawlessly. I really liked the Roku, but if there is no support for it, I'll be **bleep** if I will keep it in service!

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I recently purchased another Roku Express for a bedroom. Initially I ran into the same problems as before, with a slight twist. It would take forever to download the new firmware, really long like almost an hour.  Then I moved it closer to the WiFi router, and it downloaded in 5 mins, and restarted. After moving the Roku back to bedroom, it would connect but it would take forever to get a video playing, so it might be related to a weaker WiFi signal. I'll probably have to get a WiFi Bridge, even though I can easily use an Ethernet cable to connect to it if it had the port.

Here are two things that I noticed: One, the TVs that I had problems with initial setup are Vizio TVs, both times. Second, the distance from the WiFi signal may slow down the setup process.  The TV it did work with is a Sony.

I hope this helps.

On a Side Note, I read recently that Roku, in an effort to prevent scams or phishing, have implemented the "enter your email" for an activation link from your email. This second Express was the same as the first unit, that posted the Activation Code on the screen. So it may depend on the unit that you use that will determine whether you get the Code or the email request on screen after successfully completing the setup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Actually, I was asked to PM for additional assistance. After several messages and being passed on to "Customer Support" I still have not received actual assistance. The last email I received gave me two links. One for "Setup and Troubleshooting" and the other for "How do I activate or link my Roku streaming device". So after all that, they sent me two links that were the first things I tried on my own. I received no help at all. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Isa wrote:

Actually, I was asked to PM for additional assistance. After several messages and being passed on to "Customer Support" I still have not received actual assistance. The last email I received gave me two links. One for "Setup and Troubleshooting" and the other for "How do I activate or link my Roku streaming device". So after all that, they sent me two links that were the first things I tried on my own. I received no help at all. 

I've been dealing with this issue for a few months back. Initially it would just would not get past the restart reboot loop. Then finally I moved it closer to the WiFi router and a different TV.  BTW I don't suggest you use the included HDMI cable. The HDMI signal it uses to determine the screen resolution may play a factor in the Setup.

BTW, I too contacted Customer Support to get the canned response of just reset your Roku Device and retry. Been there, done that. It was not until I experimented changing locations and setting a temporary WiFI router, finally resolved my problem. 

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Isa 

Thanks for the note.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. I will have them follow up with you to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos