Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Activation Code will not Appear

Originally, my Roku TCL TV did not connect to any streaming channel.  Wireless internet connection was good, there just wasn't any connection to any streaming channel.  I chose to restart the Roku TV, then the issue still wasn't resolved.  I've also tried to unplug the entire TV, the wireless router, and the issue persisted.  At this point, I decided to do a factory reset for the Roku TV.  The new issue is the Roku TV is not giving me an Activation Code.  The screen just loads and then gives an error message.  I've tried to restart the TV and the activation process and the issue persists.  

What can I do to get the activation code to appear?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Activation Code will not Appear

What does the error message say?

I will say that I had a new Roku TV once that was stuck in the update loop after a firmware update. Try holding the reset button (I have no idea where it might be located on your TV) for a minimum of 30 seconds. Not one second less. Anything less than 30 seconds does not completely hard reset the TV. It might be stuck with something that didn't get cleared.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for the quick response!

The error message reads: "Activation issue: There was a problem activating.  Please get a new code to try again" and the options are: "Get a new code, Back, More options".  The "More options" selection gives you the choice to "Restart your TV, Restart setup (factory reset), Cancel".  I have tried both of the options, to no avail.

I tried pushing the reset button on my TV for 30 seconds and it restarted the setup process.  Unfortunately, the problem was not resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

OK, we'll need @RokuDanny-R to help you from here. Danny was on earlier today, but it might be tomorrow before they see this.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Ok, sounds good.  I'll check back in tomorrow.  

Thank you again for all of your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

same here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@kjst1122 @sandi7 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 7

Danny, thank you for responding to my problem. I finally got my code, but now, I have another problem. when I click on a show, I can hear it but not see it. And j get a flashing screen on  every thing. I get a error message # 020 HDCP. I followed their instructions, nothing. ! Please tell me what to do. I had to use HDM2 for the ROKU to connect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@sandi7 

Thanks for the update.

If you are experiencing a HDCP error, we would recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

how did you get the code to appear

0 Kudos