Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moemen
Level 7

Activating Roku abroad

Will order a Roku stick to gift to a family member in Egypt. It will be sealed in box. Will order from the UK, so the power is 220v... which is good.
Question is, is there any difficulties or problem that will cause? Meaning, activation will require a credit card as far as I know from reading posts here... will it be a problem that it'll be connected from an Egyptian IP address and activated using an Egyptian credit card? 

Talking about a Roku Express or Roku Streaming here

Thanks Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Basil
Level 10

Re: Activating Roku abroad

"Moemen" wrote:
Will order a Roku stick to gift to a family member in Egypt. It will be sealed in box. Will order from the UK, so the power is 220v... which is good.
Question is, is there any difficulties or problem that will cause? Meaning, activation will require a credit card as far as I know from reading posts here... will it be a problem that it'll be connected from an Egyptian IP address and activated using an Egyptian credit card? 

Talking about a Roku Express or Roku Streaming here

Thanks Smiley Happy

What I’m about to say is true globally.

Roku allows the channel developer to pick the regions in which their apps work. There are officially supported regions (US, UK, Mexico, Canada, France, Peru, etc) and there’s “Rest of the World.” I’m uncertain if there are designations in ROTW beyond that, but I think not. Regardless, the app developer picks where the Roku app is supported.

There are instances where a service works in a particular country, but the app developer doesn’t designate that region. The result is the service works, just not on Roku. There could also be situations where the developer picked ROTW but doesn’t offer the service. That means it would work on Roku, if the service allowed it.

Whether or not Egypt is supported for particular apps depends on the app developer, not Roku. Everything they want may work. Or nothing they want works. Others may be able to share what major apps are ROTW accessible.

As for money, Roku will accept your money. When I was in Egypt, I paid cash, so I don’t have experience with conversion of a Egyptian pound to US dollar or a credit card. I have made online purchases from other countries and had no issue with conversion of currency via credit card.

By the way, while Roku really really wants you to provide a credit card, you can skip that.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos