Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CNL

Account activation and device registration without needing a credit card entry.... What a PAIN!!!

ROKU get a clue...

This was the most irritating and obscure approach to ensure a satisfying registration and activation experience. What a horrible way to introduce us to your device and services....

This process almost made us return the ROKU Express 4K +...

You should provide an option to register without a credit card not just a small hard to find (almost invisible) "skip this step"....

So far very dissatisfied with overall "easy" activation experience of frustration!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
KathyHW11

Re: Account activation and device registration without needing a credit card entry.... What a PAIN!!

I am having the same problem.  We are satisfied with out current Cable tv services.  Can you use the cable service with this TV?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Account activation and device registration without needing a credit card entry.... What a PAIN!!

@KathyHW11 If you mean can you use a Roku TV with cable service, the answer is yes. If any channels you subscribe to are encrypted, then you still need a cable box to decode them. Depending on your cable company, there might be a Roku channel that allows you to view your subscribed channels without a cable box. Both Xfinity/Comcast and Spectrum offer such channels. 

But to use a Roku TV or player at all, it must be linked to a Roku user account. I set my account up so many years ago I don't know specifically how the account creation function works now. While I did register a credit card to my account originally, it has long expired and I've never updated the information, so they don't have a valid card for me. But there is a method to remove a registered CC info in the user account. I just removed my old expired card, and now none is listed at all. So even if you enter one to create the account, you can immediately remove it.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.