Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Abrupt no signal on brand new SE

I just set up my Roku SE this evening.  Was in the middle of an hour long show and it just stopped, there wasn’t an ad or anything.  Literally in the middle of a sentence.  
It did flash back and forth between the roku screen with multiple channel icons, to a black screen, then I had the roku logo flashing -the one that shows when you are setting up.  
Now I can’t get anything and it says No signal.  I can get the home screen at all, and the light on the device is on.

I have unplugged everything, including my tv, I even did a factory reset on my tv.  I have rotated the hdmi cord and plugged the opposite end into the player and tv.  I have tried to go to hdmi2.  I have also plugged other items and verified they worked into the outlet to make sure it isn’t a faulty outlet.  I also have strong internet signal, but even if I didn’t I should still be able to access the home screen and the settings.  I do have an additional roku, different model in another room and had linked this one to my account.  I had shut that tv down probably 10 minutes before the issue, but I would hope that you could still use a separate device when the other one has been shut down.  I’m at a loss.  I have not changed hdmi cords for ones I may have because it does say to only use roku items and I just took it out of the box 2 1/2 hours ago, so it should not be defective out of the box this quickly.  
I had purchased it from Walmart and all of the seals were firmly on in original and complete packaging. #roku se 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Abrupt no signal on brand new SE

It does sound like a defective device.  Electronic devices sometimes fail very quickly or last a very long time.  The SE is several years old, so definitely out of warranty unless Walmart would help you.  Did you try it on the other TV with the working Roku?  The only other thing to try is a factory reset.  With the power connected, find the pinhole on the bottom and use a paperclip to press and hold the button for no less than 30 seconds.  The SE also has the Red/White/Yellow RCA connectors, so you could connect it that way to see if anything is working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I will try that tonight.  Must have just updated packaging and stuck an old device in then because the box says 2019.  There were multiple news stories of the collab Roku and Walmart did for Black Friday in 2019 to offer an $18 Roku streaming device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Heidi2 

Thanks for the post and information.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R i am unable to verify that the message I am going to send is going to a pm  and not public.  Can you initiate the conversation because the troubleshooting did not work.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R I just sent a pm.  Looking forward to getting this resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

no signal

I just bought a new Roku and have been frustrated trying to set it up. I continue to get the no signal box. I've plugged my roku into the wall and tried numerous ports and searched using the Input button my TV. Turned my tv off and unplugged my new roku. I had an older version that worked 95 percent of the time without this issue. I honestly dont know if there is anything I can do.  tips?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

No Signal

Initial setup was fine until trying to connect to wireless network. After looking into it on Roku's site, I attempted again, following setup steps in exact order. This time Romu logo appeared on screen, then disappeared and nothing followed. So I started over again, this time all I get is "No signal"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: no signal

@amanda78 @JeanneK 

Thanks for the post.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos