Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

720p resolution Hisense TV ok with Roku express?

Yes I recently purchased a Roku express and tried hooking it up to my older Hisense TV and when it first got plugged in everything was going smoothly. It allowed me to connect to the internet and then was going to reboot and update. After it rebooted the bouncing Roku came on for about 10-15 seconds then just went to a black screen. When I press the buttons it makes noises like it's on but I don't see anything. After getting very frustrated I ended up realizing that the resolution on my TV is 720p. Is that too low for Roku? I have it plugged into the only HDMI plug I have. The TV I have is an older Hisense smart flat screen TV. It came with Netflix on it so I was sure that this would work. I really hope I don't have to return this but I will if I have to. Lack of customer service for the cheaper items really really sucks!! Please help. Thankyou
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: 720p resolution Hisense TV ok with Roku express?

@s2daJ wrote:
Yes I recently purchased a Roku express and tried hooking it up to my older Hisense TV and when it first got plugged in everything was going smoothly. It allowed me to connect to the internet and then was going to reboot and update. After it rebooted the bouncing Roku came on for about 10-15 seconds then just went to a black screen. When I press the buttons it makes noises like it's on but I don't see anything. After getting very frustrated I ended up realizing that the resolution on my TV is 720p. Is that too low for Roku? I have it plugged into the only HDMI plug I have. The TV I have is an older Hisense smart flat screen TV. It came with Netflix on it so I was sure that this would work. I really hope I don't have to return this but I will if I have to. Lack of customer service for the cheaper items really really sucks!! Please help. Thankyou

No, 720p is supported on every Roku I'm aware of. I just checked my Premiere and 720 is a resolution option. I just verified on the in the Wiki page that every Roku supports 720p.

Since you don't have a different HDMI port to try on that TV, can you try it on a different TV? About the only other thing to try is a different HDMI cable. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos