Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rothfam5
Level 7

5.1 confusion

I have a Roku Premiere 3920X, version 9.4.0. In order to get 5.1 on Neflix i have to switch the audio setting to HDMI-DD+, then to get 5.1 on Disney+ on Roku, i need to switch it back to Auto detect. I have a new Onkyo TX-SR393. I have the Roku going to the TV on an HDMI cable, then an optical cable from the TV to the Onkyo. My Samsung TV is older and doesnt support ARC, so i'm not able to send the Roku to the AVR frist then back to the TV. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: 5.1 confusion

My Samsung TV has issues with external audio at times, or even when playing local media that isn't using AC-3/DD. My solution long ago was to use an AVR to handle all of the audio, and connect all my devices directly to the AVR. 

Your Onkyo has four HDMI inputs, all capable of 4K/60. Use them, and don't connect anything directly to the TV. You don't need ARC if you connect your devices directly to the AVR. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.