Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daramak
Level 8

Hi! I got my sons ROKU 3500x and I have no remote for it. I have it hooked up to our tv in HDMI 1. I reset to factory. It’s on the language page. I downloaded the roku app remote. It sees the device And connects to it from the remote in the app, but it won’t do any action. I have disconnected and reconnected many times. Please help!! Here is the SN & device ID are: 2L647006659 The software version is: 9.3.0.4170

in the Roku Remote app. It is totally Connected. It sees it. Before I reset it it landed on the roku home page. But I couldn’t get the app remote to do any action. So frustrating and weird. 

I have another roku stick for another bedroom but it has been disconnected for several months and unplugged. 

I am really hoping someone out there could help me. I literally spent too many hours trying to scroll thru all these posts thinking that one would pertain to me to no avail. 

I have tried to call roku support directly and they aren’t taking any calls. When I tried to send an email I kept getting in a circle asking the same questions as never let me actually send an email to customer support. Thank u in advance. 

new info. As I have continued to look for help the info that I saw in my remote app seems like it’s for the roku purple stick. That is completely unplugged. It’s neat me in this room. The one I have connected looks like a 3700x a black little tiny box that used to set on top of my sons TV. 
confusing. 

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3500x

Jump to solution

If its a 3500 purple stick you're out of luck there isn't remote available anymore for that model of roku stick. If its the express 3700 that only accepts IR  roku remotes and IR universal remotes. So if its 3700 just go to target a get a cheap universal remote with roku listed.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Sorry, no.  All sticks use point anywhere remotes that communicate via radio frequency (RF)  waves that can penetrate through to the back of the TV where a Roku stick is usually located. 

As already mentioned your Express uses IR (infrared) rather than RF to communicate with its remote so your old RF stick remote will not work with it.  But as was also already mentioned  any inexpensive universal IR remote that lists Roku capability can be used.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Daramak 

Thanks for the clarification.

If you need a replacement remote for your Express 3700, you can purchase a Simple remote from our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Daramak 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify what you are inquiring about? 

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Daramak
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes thank you!! Ok I have a roku purple stick with a remote. It has been unplugged for months. (I think it’s the 3500x)

i just got my sons roku 3700x  no remote  so I downloaded the roku app and tried to use the remote from there to the 3700x  (a little black device that used to sit on top of my sons TV  I plugged this in our tv and it was on the home page. But when I was trying to click around nothing would work. So I reset the 3700x. Stuck on the language page. 

this whole time I thought it was connecting, it was showing my purple stick connected. In the roku app. In which I was logged in.  Which is so strange since it is not plugged in anywhere. 

I need help to be able to use the roku app remote to connect to the 3700x roku.  

I do have a roku 3500x(purple stick with remote) no problems that I am aware of. It has t been plugged in anywhere for months.

thank u!! The black roku 3700x shows this number : 7G269M191180 Model #: 3700X

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If its a 3500 purple stick you're out of luck there isn't remote available anymore for that model of roku stick. If its the express 3700 that only accepts IR  roku remotes and IR universal remotes. So if its 3700 just go to target a get a cheap universal remote with roku listed.

Edmund

0 Kudos
Daramak
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank u very much.!!

is it possible to use the same remote that came with my purple stick(3500x) with my black 3700x? 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Sorry, no.  All sticks use point anywhere remotes that communicate via radio frequency (RF)  waves that can penetrate through to the back of the TV where a Roku stick is usually located. 

As already mentioned your Express uses IR (infrared) rather than RF to communicate with its remote so your old RF stick remote will not work with it.  But as was also already mentioned  any inexpensive universal IR remote that lists Roku capability can be used.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Daramak
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank y’all!!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Daramak 

Thanks for the clarification.

If you need a replacement remote for your Express 3700, you can purchase a Simple remote from our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Mollyj
Level 7

Jump to solution

Untrue, any roku remote with a pairing button (ir) will connect to it

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

IR remotes do not have pairing buttons, only wifi or much older bluetooth roku remotes do. 3500 purple roku stick will not pair with newer wifi voice remotes currently being sold, they would pair with any of the Roku 3 remotes, the headphone jack on the remote won't work, but the volume keys will. Something the original 3500 remote didn't have. 

Edmund

0 Kudos