Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccorridore
Level 7

3 of my Roku devices are freezing and rebooting

Jump to solution

We have 3 Roku devices 2 of them are Roku 2 and 1 is a Roku 3. All of a sudden on the same day they all are freezing and rebooting. At first I thought they were overheating so turned them all off and back on - no good. Then did a factory reset on one of them with no luck. Other than I bought them around the same time it seems to coincidental that they all started doing this but nothing changed. Any thoughts?

[post moved to appropriate board]

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 3 of my Roku devices are freezing and rebooting

Jump to solution
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reaching out. We have an update to share. Please follow the steps outlined here to help update your device:
https://support.roku.com/article/115012351368

This should help get things back on track. Please let us know if you are still encountering an issue after performing a system update.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
indyHarcourt
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have 2 Roku TV's, and I have the same issue.  The were built by different manufacturers (Sharp and TCL) and both are freezing and rebooting continually.  Started doing it today.

clarkman
Level 7

Jump to solution
Spoiler
I just read that the Nintendo Switch can cause these problems. They say to turn it off, or set it to "Airplane" mode. https://support.roku.com/article/115012351368
0 Kudos
clarkman
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just read that the Nintendo Switch can cause these problems. They say to turn it off, or set it to "Airplane" mode. https://support.roku.com/article/115012351368

0 Kudos
john262
Level 7

Jump to solution

Some people are complaining about this issue on Reddit as well.

0 Kudos
Brett611
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have Roku premiere.  It started freezing with Netflix a week ago.  I’ve had to unplug it for 1+ minutes every 2 hrs or so since then.  I did a hard factory reset via the button, re-installed apps and logged in.  Worked fine for ... 3 hrs.  

Back to the same situation.  Time to get the amazon tv option i guess

0 Kudos
CJM092
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was having same issue where the Roku 2 would freeze and then reboot.  Sometimes rebooting several times in a row.  I had to unplug the device for a few minutes before plugging it back in and having it boot up properly.  But even then, it would work well for a while but eventually freeze and reboot and start the cycle all over again.

I checked the system status/upgrade a few times this week.  Tonight I was able to get a new software update to sw version 9.2.0 build 4701

This seems to have helped as I've not experienced a freeze/reboot yet.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reaching out. We have an update to share. Please follow the steps outlined here to help update your device:
https://support.roku.com/article/115012351368

This should help get things back on track. Please let us know if you are still encountering an issue after performing a system update.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Brett611
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've swapped my roku for an amazon fire tv due to these issues.  The link you posted references nintendo switch.  I don't have anything nintendo in my house, never owned anything of the sort.  Is this patch relevant to me?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Brett611 

Yes, it could be. This issue can present itself even if you don't own a Nintendo Switch, but one is present in the environment around you, or within wireless range. You may need to try checking for system updates at very off hours, such as late night or early morning in order to apply the system update. 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos