Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: 3 of my Roku devices are freezing and rebooting

Jump to solution

New Express+ (11/15/19) replaced discontinued Roku2.  Have not been able to stream anything for more than about 5 minutes due to screen freezing. Express is 15' from modem/router.  No problem with Roku Streaming Stick+ (1/7/19) which is further from router.

Have been researching: not connected with Nintendo, changed to heavier HDMI cable, updated to 9.2.0 build 4131.  Tested and failed, Roku still would freeze after about 5 minutes and require unplugging from power.

Just put Express+ on a towel-wrapped cold-pack and was able to watched 20 minutes without the picture freezing (pardon the pun).  Next time I stream I will use the wrapped cold-pack again.  Is this acceptable to Roku.com? Is there a way for me to return this product and replace it with one that works?  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have had my Roku for over a month with no issues.  This week it keeps freezing up and then has to restart. It will only work for about a minute then freeze and the the screen goes blank or comes up with the word Roku and then reboots. I have unplugged everything and put back in, done a system update and factor reset and it is still freezing up. I do not have any game system connect to it.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@kreiderc Thanks for reaching out here. What specific channel(s) are you watching when this behavior seems to occur? Is it only happening when you are watching one specific streaming channel? 

Have you tried removing this channel, rebooting your device, then adding the channel back again to see if this resolves the issue? You might also check Settings>System>System update>Check now to ensure your device is running the latest update. 

If this behavior continues to occur, please generate an issue report tracker ID after your device restarts by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly. Feel free to send me a private message with your Roku device serial number from Settings>System>About, along with the issue report tracker ID so I can help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner,  I also have about 4-5 Roku devices that keep freezing — doesn’t matter what channel from Netflix to Amazon Prime.   Internet connection is fine on all devices.  Roku Ultra 4K has been the worst culprit.   

I have done all the suggestions and am on the correct software version.  No Nintendo in my area.  

please help.  I have been having to use my Apple TV and I want to use my roku

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Mlf241 Thanks for the note. Could you please provide more details about the behavior you are seeing? 

- When you say freezing, exactly what occurs on the screen? Do you see any error messages, or on screen messaging to help indicate what may be occurring? 

- Have you tried troubleshooting any channel that you experience this issue on, by following the steps outlined here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Look-Here-for-Help-amp-Support-with-Channel-I...

- Have you tried performing a factory reset on any individual device to see if this resolves the issue? 

- Have you tried connecting any device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if the same issue occurs? 

With more information, we can continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have had the same experience.  I have 4 Roku devices, all different models. The TV will go silent, then the video will freeze and several seconds later, the Roku will reboot.  I have a .5 gig ISP connection, and a Linksys mesh wireless system. Tonight two TV's in adjacent rooms were both tuned to the same channel. One froze and rebooted while the other continued to stream. That isolates the problem to the Roku. We have been wondering if it is our ISP (Mediacom), Roku, Hulu or another channel. I am convinced the problem is the Roku device.  The Ultra 4k seems to be the worst, but other Roku devices have had the same problem I think it is a heat issue as others have described. I am thinking of getting one of the less expensive Roku devices.  I hate to spend more money on Roku because the stuff is apparently junk.  If the company won't stand behind its product and improve them so that they are reliable, stop blaming a third party (Nintendo),  Will you, Roku, refund the price of a new device for me?

0 Kudos