Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdBeat
Level 7

2 SMART TV and 3 no SMART TV how do I get the right set up for ROKU for all 5 tv sets

I got 2 SMART TV sets and 3 no SMART TV sets, how do I get the 5 connected to ROKU, smart tv sets have ROKU app, do they need the stick as well? Or just for the dumb older HD sets? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: 2 SMART TV and 3 no SMART TV how do I get the right set up for ROKU for all 5 tv sets

My Samsung smart TV is too old to have the Roku TV app, but I suspect it only gives you access to The Roku channel, which does include a bunch of streaming channels.  If you want to access other channels available on Roku for which your smart TV has no app, you'll need to connect a Roku device to the TV.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: 2 SMART TV and 3 no SMART TV how do I get the right set up for ROKU for all 5 tv sets

I really don't know how the Roku channel/app works on a non-Roku device.  Do you create a Roku account?  Can you access premium/paid content through it?  If you do, can you view that content on another device via that channel/app?  Obviously I need to learn more about third party devices and the Roku channel/app.

All that being said, the Roku channel/app on a non-Roku device is very different than actually having a Roku device.  I believe you can only link a Roku device to a Roku account via the website.  If you're only interested in The Roku Channel it seems like you don't necessarily need a Roku device for each TV.  There's other streamers out there that have the app.

If you're interested in the myriad of other channels/apps that a Roku device gives you access to then you'll need a Roku device for each TV.

0 Kudos