Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarolB3D
Reel Rookie

Re: search has changed when i try to search

Jump to solution

Apparently our Roku updated a few days ago and the new Search function is just the WORST! Please bring back the results list and drop this icon BS. I was looking for a particular documentary and gave up completely after a few tries. The new Search does not facilitate the search for more obscure content and I don't care about random YouTube videos or channels that have nothing to do with what I'm seeking out (not negging YouTube...just an example).

Not sure what my streaming device options are, but this loss of functionality will force me to look at other options after being very loyal to Roku for several years.

Feedback submitted....

CarolB3D
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

I hope you pass this on to the developers. This is a deal-breaker for me and many other users based on their comments. I've always been very happy with the multiple versions of the Roku that I've owned for years, but this is a real problem. While I await some improvement I will not be purchasing any other Roku products and will be actively researching other streaming device options.

Thank you in advance for advocating for the Roku community.

Jim1014
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

As an avid Roku user I too am very unhappy with the change to the search layout. To be blunt it sucks. I very much wish they would return to the list format. It was easier to deal with and find the things you are searching for.

EightiesChild
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I was happy to see a new reply from you, @RokuDanny-R, after all these months; however, my excitement quickly dissolved into disappointment when I realized that you apparently just copied and pasted exactly what you wrote back in June. 

Danny, there are close to 10 pages and growing of very negative feedback from Roku customers concerning the unthinkably awful new Search design/layout, and what all of us want from you is NOT another canned company script reassuring us that you're passing along our complaints to some unnamed Roku personnel, but rather, confirmation that the Roku team is listening to us and that they've made this issue a matter of top priority.  In short, we want an actual solution to this ridiculous problem! 

Would you please at least give us the names and e-mail addresses of the "appropriate Roku team" so that each of us can personally contact them?  Perhaps that would speed things up a little.   

Thank you!

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Street0123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ROKU doesn't care that all their users do not like the new search format because ROKU gets ad money from the placement of these shows which come up as the best selection but are completely unrelated to a users search request.  Bad customer service.  Just bad.

dc77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree with Landow24, I have been a roku user for 10-15 years plus, recommended it to multiple people, and like all of the specific applications you can use such as webcams, weather channels, local news, using library resources through kanopy and hoopla, tablo, traffic cameras, etc..

I have multiple devices and have never considered other devices (like Landow24 mentioned), until this new "search feature" showed up. The search feature was the ultimate location to find ANYTHING quickly by hitting the Home button twice, cursor down 4 times to the search feature, then look for any Show, Actor, Movies, channels, etc. With this version you have to recognize the "face" as you start typing or cursor to the right to see the potential text matches. I also found there are MULTIPLE instances where an Actor showed up on the OLD version, but did NOT show up on the NEW version. You only get "No Search Results". Not even an option to "Search on YouTube" when the Roku Search does not have a match for the actor.. In the cases that the actor did not show up on the Roku Search, there were many instances on Youtube, but the new Roku search does not give you that option. Only "No Search Results"

Please bring back the old search feature, or customers an option to use the old search feature

Thank you

0 Kudos
Mike999
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello RokuKariza-D,

You were previously unable to re-produce the "problem" of the new search on Roku that does away with text and replaces text with useless icons and unwanted categories of "popular" this and that.

We haven't heard from you again.  Are you still unable to re-produce the problem has received dozens of complaints?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Gloria99
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I too am searching for an alternative streaming device ... please advise if you find a suitable one.  I simply cannot tolerate these type of changes being forced on consumers.

sergesret
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The new search UI is a definite downgrade. The list search was the best search and my goto for finding content. It was what kept bringing me back to ROKU when it was time to upgrade and there have been many over the years: HDMI 2K, 4K, HDR/DolbyVision. However when the next time comes to upgrade and this feature is not fixed I will research the competition to see if I can find a platform with superior performance (FrameRate mismatch judder *cough*cough*)

0 Kudos
NJG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After all the PAGES of complaints, is there any reason ROKU is NOT listening to the subscribers?  I HATE THIS NEW MODE!!!  Too clumsy.  Too cumbersome.  GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SEARCH.