Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mastn001
Reel Rookie

Re: search has changed when i try to search

Jump to solution

Miraculously this morning my ROKU Ultra offered the old wonderful search. I thought maybe we had been heard and heeded and appreciated as customers. But nope, I tried a second search, and it gave me the newer useless frustrating cruddy non-search. Dang, I was so excited for a moment there! HOWEVER this showed me the old search functionality is STILL ALIVE AND POSSIBLE at this time! That renews my will to continue campaigning for the return of the good old search.

BTW I messaged on the ROKU Facebook page and received a response for clarification. So I sent them a link to this forum discussion. Haven't heard back from them since.

mastn001
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

See I strongly suspect this forum is intended as a place for users to blow off steam and wear themselves out without ever authentically "bothering" the powers-who-be at ROKU. If that's too cynical, I could only wish! Research ROKU for yourselves, as someone recently posted contact info for an exec, valid or not it's worth a shot. As I've previously mentioned, get after ROKU on their Facebook presence and other social media representations.

0 Kudos
PJX
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes, the new search is the opposite of user friendly.  Bring back the list.

If I wanted it to look like an Apple TV, I would use my Apple TV.

0 Kudos
DJMadDaddy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

I have made a few posts to this thread and am curious about one thing. Is anything being done to remedy this horrible situation? I am not the only one that has made comments about how bad the new search feature is. Each and every post echoes the sentiment that the old text search is far superior to the new icon based search. It was much easier to navigate the text search if you were looking for either a star or a particular show or movie. I currently have 2 devices

1) 3910RW Roku Express+ Software version 11.0.0 - build 4193-51

2) 4230X Roku 3 Software version 11.0.0 - build 4193-04

Both work fine. I have no problem with either of them. The issue is the search feature.

I am trying, once again, to get a response from you about this issue. Is returning to the old text search feature being considered? or are we just having the 'new' icon based search thrust upon us without any recourse. My best suggestion is, if you and the development team think the icon based search is viable, they why not give us, the users, the option to choose between the two. Bottom line is, if the user base decides to move to other streaming devices then Roku, as a company, will lose much of it's revenue on sales. Yes, I have seen numerous posts that have stated that if the old text based search is not returned, they will indeed drop Roku and utilize one of the other services.

I hope this makes it plain to you and your team that this could end up very detrimental the the continued success that Roku enjoys.

Hope you have a wonderful rest of your day.

0 Kudos
pjrose
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is my second post in regards to this topic.  Due to the lack of response from ROKU the only conclusion that can be drawn is ROKU has no intention of correcting this issue.  The only reason that I use the ROKU was the superior search function.  After all, there is not much difference between the Firestick, ROKU and the Xfinity box now.  So my question is what other streaming boxes are there?  I have no particular loyalty to ROKU.  Either the product works for you or it doesn't.   I am ready to change service today.  Suggested alternatives please.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@CarolB3D curious, which documentary were you searching for?

0 Kudos
NJG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello Danny.... Just wondering how many posts/complaints does it take before someone at ROKU actually takes action?  It seems to me that almost 10 pages addressing this should be more than enough to get someone's attention. 

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@pjrose wrote:

This is my second post in regards to this topic.  Due to the lack of response from ROKU the only conclusion that can be drawn is ROKU has no intention of correcting this issue.  The only reason that I use the ROKU was the superior search function.  After all, there is not much difference between the Firestick, ROKU and the Xfinity box now.  So my question is what other streaming boxes are there?  I have no particular loyalty to ROKU.  Either the product works for you or it doesn't.   I am ready to change service today.  Suggested alternatives please.

Android TV / Google TV is another option.  The $19.88 "onn. Android TV 4K UHD Streaming Device" is a very economical way to test it out.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Android-TV-4K-UHD-Streaming-Device-with-Voice-Remote-Control-HDMI-Cab...

I'm personally not ready to make the change, but that's probably what I'd try if Roku becomes too hard to use due to it's lack of caring what customers want.

Jump to solution

I HATE the new tv home screen search format. You know what I'm talking about. Hate it enough to look for a new streaming service, after years of being a happy Roku customer. Years flushed away, for what?

Mrrizzo2u
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Bring the old search back. I am getting older and not only are icons harder to see, the complete list of shows for a particular actor does not show up, only whatever roku thinks you should see. If this is not changed it is a deal breaker for me. You have taken search and virtually made it useless. Going forward, if this is the new way Roku is changing features, I will be replacing ROKU with another streaming platform. Too bad because I really used to love that about Roku, but could not recommend it going forward.